DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Basement finishing question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/138528-basement-finishing-question.html)

Laura January 4th 06 12:39 AM

Basement finishing question

Hi all, I am finishing my basement in a Split Entry style home. I noticed
that the overhang from top level over lower level is not well sealed. There
is only a vinyl soffit piece blocking air/heat flow. Should I block this
area with additional insulation or actually board it up? I assume it was
done this way for ventilation, as you would do with an attic, but this is
now a living space.

thanks to all replies!

Laura

Kevin Ricks January 4th 06 03:34 AM

"Laura" wrote in message
Hi all, I am finishing my basement in a Split Entry style home. I noticed
that the overhang from top level over lower level is not well sealed.
There is only a vinyl soffit piece blocking air/heat flow. Should I block
this area with additional insulation or actually board it up? I assume it
was done this way for ventilation, as you would do with an attic, but this
is now a living space.

thanks to all replies!

Laura

My house was done like that and they actually had perforated vinyl soffit
vents just above ground level that exposed 3 of my upstairs heat/AC
registers and ductwork to the outdoor elements. One was in the cantilevered
part of a bedroom and 2 were under bay windows.
I have since plugged most the these areas up with pieces of OSB with 'great
stuff'' foam insulation + pieces of fiberglass insulation over that. I
left the many cavities open to the inside basement so as not to create any
dead air spaces.
Not sure if what I did was correct, but it did make a big difference in my
house.

Kevin

[email protected] January 4th 06 04:47 AM

Laura wrote:
I noticed
that the overhang from top level over lower level is not well sealed. There
is only a vinyl soffit piece blocking air/heat flow. Should I block this
area with additional insulation?

Yep. Make sure that water can never reach the insulation. Board it up
if you think it has half of a chance to get wet. Really, blocks of the
same material as your floor joists would be best to block that area.
That would make the floor / ceiling stronger, key word, bridging.

Tom in KY.