Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Simpson Magee

Default Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's with
a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

What happened?
People got smart.
Tools got better.\
The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.
Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset, fabricating
pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost $29.95?

I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common
sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Sell ice?

BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Simpson Magee wrote:
Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's
with a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

There is no $10.00 tool that can properly sharpen knives and scissors.
This is no tool that an unskilled user can sharpen knives and scissors with.

What happened?
People got smart.
Tools got better.\
The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.
Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset,
fabricating pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost
$29.95?

I would not work on a $29.95 lock set. But I should would be willing to
have a good lock worked on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

auito work and security systems

Posted to alt.home.repair
'Key

"Simpson Magee" trolled in message
---snip the troll---

well Magee,
Its obvious you really know nothing about the locksmithing
trade.
Please get a clue before engaging your mouth next time.

no pun, just fact..

--
"Key"

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Simpson Magee wrote:
Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's
with a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

There is no $10.00 tool that can properly sharpen knives and scissors.
This is no tool that an unskilled user can sharpen knives and scissors
with.

That thing on the back of my can opener does an acceptable job on really
dull knives but I do not expect or need a razor edge. It's not foolproof,
you can just as easily flatten the edge, you do need to develop some skill
but isn't that true of almost everything.

What happened?
People got smart.
Tools got better.\
The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.
Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

Residential locksmithing may be obsolete but comercially it is still a
viable trade (though not many openings). Many companies have the need to
rekey many doors at once or repair heavy duty metal door locks or maintain
electronic locking systems (of which there are many to choose and all have
installation issues). It appears that door and window companies also
provide locksmithing services.

The locksmith shop that occupied the corner of the town near where I grew up
now has an antique store in that locale. I do think the "Corner Shop" model
of locksmithing is dead.

Your image of what a locksmith does is what's antiquated.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset,
fabricating pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost
$29.95?

I would not work on a $29.95 lock set. But I should would be willing
to have a good lock worked on.

I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common
sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Sell ice?

BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

Simpson Magee wrote:

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Burglary. :+)

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

lets say you have a 4 story building with 10 offices on each floor.
total 40 locks each needs a key that opens only that lock. then you
have cleaning people that clean only one floor so now you need a key
that will open every lock on each floor but no locks on any other
floor.then the the building manager needs a key that will open every
lock in the building. so you have 40 separate keys 4 master keys and
one grand master key.does home depot sell this setup for 29.95 per
lock? if they do then i agree with you we dont need locksmiths anymore,
becase the only other thing they can do is open the safe you inherited
from your family member who passed away and you can do that with the
small torch set that home depot sells.those papers that burnt werent
important anyway were they?

Posted to alt.home.repair
'Key

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

Residential locksmithing may be obsolete

uh? no it isn't...

but comercially it is still a viable trade (though not
many openings). Many companies have the need to rekey
many doors at once or repair heavy duty metal door locks
or maintain electronic locking systems (of which there are
many to choose and all have installation issues).

agree...

It appears that door and window companies also provide
locksmithing services.

if they do ? they are not complete services.
none in my area provide any locksmithing services at all.

The locksmith shop that occupied the corner of the town
near where I grew up now has an antique store in that
locale.

maybe they moved, retired or just went mobile ?

I do think the "Corner Shop" model of locksmithing is
dead.

I don't. there are 12 "Corner Shop model of locksmithing" in
my area.

Your image of what a locksmith does is what's antiquated.

agree...
--
"Key"

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Justin West

Good point, the other I'd make is that there is a world of difference
between the key/lock sets you purchase at your local home hardware
store, etc... and a key like medico which can not be replicated by
anyone but a locksmith.

The quality of a key/lock system is like a good quality knife. Sure,
if I buy a **** poor knife I don't mind buying a cheap sharpening
stone, and having at it. But if I purchase an expensive, fine quality
knife to do specialized work with then I'd prefer to treat it with the
respect it requires to ensure I get what I require out of it.

Beyond that, I would say that I am seeing trades taking on more
responsibilities. ie. some smiths taking getting involved with card
access, video surveillance, etc...

Just an opinion, JW

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
billb

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Sell ice?

I have to admit, that was funny.

Well, if they can't sell ice, there will always be money in AC compressor
maintenance.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.
Today a $10.00 tool does it.

Not well.

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

What, just installed yourself a lockset? That it proves you, as the idiot,
can install one doesn't make you a locksmith, let alone make them obsolete.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

I assume you're just trolling but what the heck. I'm not busy right now.
It's 9:55 pm and I have enough work during the day that I seldom take night
calls anymore unless it's a regular account or I'm bored. And then only up
until 10:00.

(But I digress)

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Take a look a vertical rod exit device installation sheet and get back to
me on that one.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.

Fine by me. No money in new construction. Let somebody else install locks
for $15.00/hr

Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Again, fine by me. While I have a few apt complexes I do work at, it's
certainly now where the real money is.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

To quote you.... "BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Maybe some aspects are, but commercial and safe work will always be there.
It's too complicated for a DIYer with a screwdriver.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset, fabricating
pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost $29.95?

True, a residential grade lockset is seldom worth the time and expense to
repair, but commercial grade locksets run anywhere from $78 for an Arrow
knob lock to up to $500 (or more) for a brand name mortise lock. You don't
just toss those when the fail, (unless the only tool you carry is a
screwdriver)

..
I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common
sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

So who should someone call to repair an antique LOCK???

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

Why would anybody DRILL an antique lock???

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Teach, write, and/or invent.

Now go away.

--
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

www.bearlock.com
www.edgemerebiblechurch.org

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company
specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your
Commercial, Residential, Safe, and Automotive Security Problems.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness;
and all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

One of these days... gonna see the hands that took the nails for me.
One of these days... gonna hold the key to a mansion built for me.
One of these days... gonna walk the streets of gold that were paved for me.
One of these days, I'm gonna see my Jesus face to face.
One of these days.

FFH

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
ArrowLockSvc

Yup Yup.....(scratching my Butt) I is a Locksmith.... Simpson Magee

and I guess since I charge $60.00 an hour and stay quite busy...I'm
obsolete.

Oh yeah.....don't buy a car past 1999 with a Transponder or lock
yourself out in the Midwest.............if so............Throw a Rock
through the Window.

My 2 Cents

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf

"Simpson Magee" wrote in message
Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's with
a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

First off one needs an understanding of what the geometry of the knife or
sisors needs to be and then the tool that he chooses to use to get it to the
desired geometry will be up to the person doing the sharpining.

I can sharpen a knife to a razor sharpness using nothing more than the
bottom of a 50 cent thrift store coffee cup, but my wife can't get an edge
on a knife with a $40 diamond hone.

What happened?
People got smart.
Tools got better.\
The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

Locksmithing is a skill that many are willing to pay for. There is always
another solution rather than a locksmith, but the locksmith is often the
best solution.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
billb

--
"For several months, our nurses have been baffled to find a dead patient in
the same bed every Friday morning," a spokeswoman for the Pelonomi Hospital

"However, further inquiries have now revealed the cause of these deaths. It
seems that every Friday morning a cleaner would enter the ward, remove the
plug that powered the patient's life support system, plug her floor polisher
into the vacant socket, then go about her business. When she had finished
her chores, she would plug the life support machine back in and leave,
unaware that the patient was now dead. She could not, after all, hear the
screams and eventual death rattle over the whirring of her polisher."

"We are sorry, and have sent a strong letter to the cleaner in question.
"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.
Today a $10.00 tool does it.

Not well.

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

What, just installed yourself a lockset? That it proves you, as the

idiot,
can install one doesn't make you a locksmith, let alone make them

obsolete.

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
John Mallette

My favorite one now is the chains at the malls who send out small safes such
as a McGunn. They expect the store managers to be able to do combo changes
so they send them the key and some instructions. Or they start to use
U-Change cylinders. I enjoy working on the things that are used to
eliminate the locksmith, than I do otherwise.

A few years ago, a local chain store started selling small rekey kits. It
came with 2 keys, pins for 2 cylinders and a follower aith instructions. The
packages said, why pay for expensive locksmiths. I got a few calls from the
customers to repair these rekeyed locks.

Locksmithing will never be a dead industry.

And just one more example, a commercial rental company here got tired of
paying 14 bucks to rekey SFIC cores. So they bought a punch and pin kit.
They then asked us to "give" them the bitting lists for all of the buildings
that they had. Yeah right!

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Handi

I've heard simular comments about those great home hair cutting kits you
see occassionally on infomercials. Typically it resulted in more work for
the barbers and hairdressers as they try to clean up the mess you've made of
your kid's hair.

These rekey kits will likely create more work for locksmiths as they try
to repair what these do-it-yourselfers have done. Hmmm, make me suspect
that its locksmiths that are secretly selling these kits, to generate
business. Smart move guys.

While on the topic of rekeying, whenever you move into a new dwelling
its always smart and relatively inexpensive to rekey the locks. You really
have no idea of how many keys have been passed out.

Handi

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
'Key

"John Mallette" wrote in message
My favorite one now is the chains at the malls who send
out small safes such as a McGunn. They expect the store
managers to be able to do combo changes so they send them
the key and some instructions. Or they start to use
U-Change cylinders. I enjoy working on the things that
are used to eliminate the locksmith, than I do otherwise.

does not "eliminate the locksmith".
we earn pretty good bucks contracting to
Security Solutions (U-Change).

A few years ago, a local chain store started selling small
rekey kits. It came with 2 keys, pins for 2 cylinders and
a follower aith instructions. The packages said, why pay
for expensive locksmiths. I got a few calls from the
customers to repair these rekeyed locks.

few ?
we still get many calls after some folks try the "do it
yourself" thing.
many can accomplish it and many can-not.

Locksmithing will never be a dead industry.

agree..
would like to add,
as long as one is willing to invest their time and $$$$$'s
in their future
and the changes in this industry.

And just one more example, a commercial rental company
here got tired of paying 14 bucks to rekey SFIC cores. So
they bought a punch and pin kit. They then asked us to
"give" them the bitting lists for all of the buildings
that they had. Yeah right!

If you charged "them" for generating "their" master system?
it belongs to "them" and they should be "given" a copy.
if you didn't charge "them" for generating "their" master
system?
then its "yours".

my2¢

--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Skip

These rekey kits will likely create more work for locksmiths as they try
to repair what these do-it-yourselfers have done. Hmmm, make me suspect
that its locksmiths that are secretly selling these kits, to generate
business. Smart move guys.

I get 3 or 4 jobs a month from people who bought the rekey kit,
exploded the cylinder and just can't seem to get all those pins and
springs back in.

While on the topic of rekeying, whenever you move into a new dwelling
its always smart and relatively inexpensive to rekey the locks. You really
have no idea of how many keys have been passed out.

Handi

Last November I got a call from a lady who had moved into her house 2
years prior and didn't see any need to have the locks rekeyed. She
didn't see any need until one morning when she found the former
owner's son, a doper, ex con, passed out on her couch with his
equally messed up girl friend.

Skip

Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair

replying to Roger Shoaf, P Barnes wrote:
11 years later and this Simspon Magee is still a dumbass.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-76551-.htm