Posted to alt.home.repair
tj

Default who makes the best canister vac

Need to buy a new one, any thoughts? Looking to spend under $500 if possible, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Per Plexed

You will probably get as many answers as there are vacuum makers. Everyone typically has their favorite. All I can tell you is that we have used Hoover vacuums for over 30 years and have been very happy with them. They are well made, dependable, do a good job and are reasonably priced. We have a Hoover Factory Store in our town and we buy them there. Knowledgeable sales people, excellent parts availability and repair facilities.
We currently have a Hoover Wind Tunnel model which we bought 4 or 5 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever. Our house is just shy of 4,000 sq. ft., with carpet and wood floors and we are very happy with the way it cleans.

Per
Need to buy a new one, any thoughts? Looking to spend under $500 if possible, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

meile vacuums are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Superb machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tj wrote:
Need to buy a new one, any thoughts? Looking to spend under $500 if possible, thanks

TJ,
According to a recent Consumers Report article on canister vacuums you
have a bunch to pick from... from $150 to 2000. As it turns out more
expensive doesn't mean better.

The "Top-Rated" canister in all their testing was a Sears model! Go
figure!

Whats good about Sears is if you don't like it they take it back no
questions asked. Also, Sears is always running sales so you should be
able to improve on the price. Heres what Consumers said in their
review:

Kenmore (Sears) Progressive Model 25915. Retail $500. A very good,
bag-equipped canister. On/off brush switch. On/off switch on handle.
Retractable cord. Full-bag alert. Suction control. Manual pile
adjustment. Overload protection for blower-fan and rotating brush
motor. Hose longer than most. HEPA filter. Motor control with more than
one speed. Dirt sensor.

GENERAL FEATURES

Bag: Yes
Manual pile adjust: Yes
Suction control: Yes
Brush on/off control: Yes
Retractable cord: Yes
Easy on/off: Yes
Full-bag/bin indicator: Yes
High efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter: Yes
Weight (lbs.): 24

Posted to alt.home.repair
peter

"tj" wrote in message
Need to buy a new one, any thoughts? Looking to spend under $500 if
possible, thanks

I have a hoover vac bought from costco for around $300 some ten years ago.
It still works fine -- there are some cracks on plastic cover and handle,
but these don't affect the operation of the machine.

Also, consumer reports rate vacuum cleaners and update them once every few
years. You can go to library to look for old issues, or subscribe their web
version.