DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Particle board under sink rotted (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/138251-particle-board-under-sink-rotted.html)

dk January 2nd 06 04:02 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also
I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting
the new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Patrick Cleburne January 2nd 06 04:45 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

"dk" wrote in message
. ..
I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also I've
got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting the new
material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Exterior grade (or better still, marine grade) plywood. Be sure to put a
coat or two of varnish on it when you're done installing it.

Bill Kearney January 2nd 06 05:00 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water??

Sure, marine-grade plywood would certainly work better. But really you'd be
better off setting it up properly so that water isn't an issue at all.

Nick Hull January 2nd 06 05:06 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

In article ,
dk wrote:

I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also
I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting
the new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Had the same problem with particle board under the dishwasher wet and
swelled etc. I just cut it out and replaced it with plywood, exterior
grade.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Tom January 2nd 06 05:21 PM

"dk" wrote in message news:r9Wd Also
I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting the
new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Had that problem with a kitchen sink cabinet. I removed the old particle
board, made a new one to fit, cut it in two right down the middle, added a
support across the bottom of the cabinet and replaced the bottom as two
pieces instead of one. You'll probably have so much stuff in there that you
won't see the seam, anyway.

Tom.

[email protected] January 2nd 06 05:31 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

i use 1x6 boards screw them down ,then glue a peice of lenolium
over it. used some 12x12 lenolium tiles on the last one..lucas

mm January 2nd 06 07:06 PM

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:02:31 -0500, dk wrote:

I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also
I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting
the new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anything is more durable than particle board when it gets wet (except
maybe chip board).

So you can use any scrap of wood that will fit. In one bathroom, I
use a piece of T1-11, which was a scrap but already painted to match
myhouse. It also matches the bathroom.

In another, I use a piece of white panelling that I got somewhere.

In another plain plywood.

It will be an intelligence test for the next owners to see how many
years it takes for them to notice that all the bottoms are different.
but I don't plan to grade them.

Sure water-resistant is nice, bu tnormally the wood doesn't get wet
anyhow, and when it does, it dries out. Except for particle board,
which crumbles.
'

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

nospambob January 2nd 06 08:27 PM

Particle board under sink rotted

I'd seal the edges prior to installation.

Ross Mac January 3rd 06 12:48 AM

Particle board under sink rotted

"dk" wrote in message
. ..
I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also I've
got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting the new
material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

All good suggestions....
My last house had the same problem in the kitchen and after I replaced all
the plumbing under the sink I replaced the damaged wood with exterior
plywood as suggested above then I screwed and caulked a quarter inch piece
of sheet pvc over the plywood. For 16 years never a problem....super easy to
clean no matter what was spilled.....Ross

George E. Cawthon January 3rd 06 01:29 AM

dk wrote:
I'm replacing my faucets in my bathroom. The particle board is really
messed up and I'd like to replace it. Anyone with any insight as to a
material that I can replace it with to better withstand water?? Also
I've got a cabinet with a divider on the front that could make getting
the new material into the cabinet tough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Where is the particle board? If it is the top you
ought to replace the top, if it is shelves or the
bottom board you have lots of options. First,
there shouldn't be any water so fix the leaks. If
you want it too just look better, simply cover it
with with a vinyl floor product (about $19 for a 6
x 9 piece). Better is to replace boards with
exterior plywood, on even particle board but this
time paint it.