DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/138000-clothes-dryer-noises-increased-drying-time.html)

[email protected] December 31st 05 10:21 PM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

Sometimes when my wife is doing laundry the gas clothes dryer will
start making a loud noise. This doesn't happen right away, but after
sometime. It doesn't do it every load, but once it starts doing it
doesn't stop unless she stops the machine and waits a while. It seems
to be a vibrating type noise

I checked the the exhaust duct and there isn't any buildup. But it
keeps taking longer and longer to dry.

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Dan

[email protected] January 1st 06 03:24 AM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

Did you check the lint trap? Mine whistles when it is clogged. Also
check that the hose is connected and venting properly.

spudnuty January 1st 06 05:15 AM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

Have you checked the dryer when it's making the noise? Like how easily
the drum rotates? Possible bad roller? Also look at the belt that's
what usually goes.
Richard

buffalobill January 1st 06 05:44 AM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

http://fixitnow.com/

CDET 14 January 1st 06 05:41 PM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

Can you describe the vibrating noise? Is it a banging, whistling,
grinding, or whiring noise? Is it constant or does it have a frequency
that can be related to the drum spin cycle? Could it be the bearings?
Could it be the belt driver?

When you checked the exhaust duct for build up, did you check both in
the dryer as well as in the wall?

[email protected] January 4th 06 11:54 PM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

It is a medium to low pitch vibrating noise. I'd say it's not a
banging more of a whiring noise. And it's pretty constant except for
maybe a slight frequency.

Lint trap is clean. I first checked the vent tube and it was clear.
But since I went outside and the little lift door was stuck not
allowing it to vent. I fixed that, but the problem continues.

How freely is the drum suppose to spin by hand?

[email protected] January 5th 06 12:01 AM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

As someone mentioned, it is probably the belt, or one of the black
rubber-type rollers at the rear of the drum, or possibly, though it
does not sound like it, the idler pulley.

Dryer repair is pretty straight forward. The typical "reader's
Digest-type" home repair book at your local library has detailed
troubleshooting charts and repair instructions, photos.

I'd pull the front off, have the wife help by holding the drum and then
turn the thing while it is open. By looking and listening, you can
probably isolate the source. Lint trap seems a pretty far-out
possibility here, but then again, I guess anything is possible.

Paul Franklin January 5th 06 12:17 AM

On 4 Jan 2006 15:54:33 -0800, wrote:

It is a medium to low pitch vibrating noise. I'd say it's not a
banging more of a whiring noise. And it's pretty constant except for
maybe a slight frequency.

Lint trap is clean. I first checked the vent tube and it was clear.
But since I went outside and the little lift door was stuck not
allowing it to vent. I fixed that, but the problem continues.

How freely is the drum suppose to spin by hand?

It's pretty hard to spin the drum by hand because of the large
reduction ration between the drum and the motor pulley.

Another thing to check...pull the front off, and disassemble the
blower housing. Most of them have a little plastic squirrel cage
blower wheel. I've found pens, credit cards, paper clips, and similar
items jammed in the blower wheel. This make noise, and also usually
makes the blower slip on the shaft so drying time goes way up. I have
no idea how that stuff gets past the lint trap, down the duct, and
into the blower, but seeing is believing.

Usually two screws along the bottom of the front, then you pull the
bottom out and lift up off the top clips.

HTH,

Paul

Ed January 5th 06 07:38 PM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

Sounds like a Maytag with a rounded out blower.
If you stop the dryer does the noise continue for a few seconds?

ups.com...

[email protected] January 6th 06 12:57 AM

clothes dryer - noises and increased drying time

It's a tricky problem because like I said the problem really doesn't
start until the machine gets 'warmed up.' So I can turn it by hand and
when it's not warmed up even run it without hearing the noise.

The problem does seem to be getting worse though. You cannot run the
machine with a full load without the noise going. In fact it only
takes 2-5 minutes now and that time seems to be getting shorter.

For what ti's worth it's a Hot Point.