Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

Default linoleum rugs

This isn't home repair, it's decoration, I suppose, but it has to do
with flooring.

I have three messy little kids and the dinner table sits on hw floors
we're about to have refinished. I've been thinking of making a "rug"
out of linoleum to sit under it and keep the ketchup and whatnot off
the floor. One flooring guy I talked to said it won't work, the edges
will curl, which I guess I buy.

OTOH years ago, there were linoleum rugs, and they appear to be
antiques of a sort. There are a couple for sale on ebay right now. So
obviously there is a way to do this. My question is, has anyone tried
it and are there any tricks? They make one in this home and garden
channel spot,
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_floors_c...372716,00.html.
It appears they didn't do anything special, just lay it on the floor.
Anyone have personal experience with this?

(Note that when I say "linoleum", I don't mean "vinyl")

Thanks

ccsikyr

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

First it's good that you know the difference between vinyl and linoleum.
When you spoke to the flooring guy him probably thought you were talking
about vinyl.

The funny thing is that the site you point to talks about "Linoleum Floor
Mats" and says to use scraps of linoleum, but then refers to painting the
back of the "vinyl".

What you should be concerned with is that whatever you put down shouldn't
react with the new Poly finish on your floors.

True linoleum is wood flour and other stuff mixed with linseed oil pressed
and cured. It might stick or somehow mess up your new floor.

OTOH I have seen floor cloths that are canvas primed, painted and then
covered with multiple coats of poly.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_floors_c...189506,00.html

oups.com...