DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulation Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/137883-insulation-question.html)

[email protected] December 31st 05 04:11 AM

Insulation Question

I currently have an above ground foundation wall (concrete block) that
is covered with paneling attached to furring strips. The space between
the paneling and concrete block wall is 1 inch. Is there any insulation
I can add that does not need to be cover by Sheetrock? I cannot build
the wall out to add additional space.

[email protected] December 31st 05 04:32 AM

Insulation Question

wrote:
I currently have an above ground foundation wall (concrete block) that
is covered with paneling attached to furring strips. The space between
the paneling and concrete block wall is 1 inch. Is there any insulation
I can add that does not need to be cover by Sheetrock? I cannot build
the wall out to add additional space.

Are you wanting to leave the paneling off ?

The first thing that comes to mind is foam board insulation. It can be
cut on a tablesaw if you keep it moving, stalling will make a burnt or
melted mess.

Tom in KY

buffalobill December 31st 05 05:05 AM

Insulation Question

the manufacturer just wants your zipcode to properly advise you at:
http://www.owenscorning.com/

[email protected] December 31st 05 09:16 PM

Insulation Question

No. I plan on installing bead board or paneling over it. From what I
read, most insulation made of foam requires fire barrier such as 1/2
sheetrock. Because of some heating pipes, I don['t have the 1/2 room
needed to add the Sheetrock.

[email protected] December 31st 05 09:19 PM

Insulation Question

Thanks. I look there before my initial post. Their products require
covering it with a fire barrier such as 1/2" sheetrock.

RicodJour December 31st 05 10:13 PM

Insulation Question

wrote:
No. I plan on installing bead board or paneling over it. From what I
read, most insulation made of foam requires fire barrier such as 1/2
sheetrock. Because of some heating pipes, I don['t have the 1/2 room
needed to add the Sheetrock.

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. Are you planning on
removing the paneling and insulating between the furring strips? Or
are you going to put the insulation on top of the existing paneling? I
believe it's the first option, which makes me wonder why the space is
so tight that you can't give up 3/8" to cover the foam with drywall.
What gives?

[email protected] January 1st 06 03:12 AM

Insulation Question

I plan on removing the paneling, insulating and replacing the
paneling.. I have hot water baseboard heating. The pipe feeding the
radiator is embedded in the cement floor. Moving the wall out requires
moving the radiator. I am trying to avoid this for two reasons. One,
the previous owner banged the radiator, so the pipe is no longer round
where the joints are. Might pose a problem when relocating the
radiator. Two, if I build the wall out, the pipe feeding the radiator
will be inside the wall depending on how far I build the wall out.
Also, the wall is 4 feet high with a shelf. Building the wall out
requires replacing the shelf with a larger shelf. I am trying to avoid
the extra work.