Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

Default Dishwasher hot water hose connection?

Just reading something else on this ng got me thinking!

Our long installed dishwasher is connected to hot water under the kitchen
sink cabinet by a rubber hose that IIRC came with it, via a shut-off, into
1/2 inch copper.

If it ever broke live hot water would spew out under the kitchen cabinet.
Below in the basement are some shelves which have books and papers etc.!

What is the recommended method of connection? Maybe a braided temperature
resistant hose?

TIA Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

I'm no expert on these things, but I've put in a few DW's in my day and
never seen one that connects as you've described. But if yours is that way,
I agree you are living on borrowed time. I'd check out the connection at
the DW end and see it it would be possible to connect directly with some
soft copper tubing. That's the way I've always connected mine.

The drain on the other hand would probably be rubber hose, and normally
connects to the Disposal if you have one, otherwise into a special 'Tee"
fitting on the sink drain.

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
Just reading something else on this ng got me thinking!

Our long installed dishwasher is connected to hot water under the kitchen
sink cabinet by a rubber hose that IIRC came with it, via a shut-off, into
1/2 inch copper.

If it ever broke live hot water would spew out under the kitchen cabinet.
Below in the basement are some shelves which have books and papers etc.!

What is the recommended method of connection? Maybe a braided temperature
resistant hose?

TIA Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Terry,

One thing about rubber is that one day it will wear out and crack, then
leak. The preferred way to connect a DW is with copper tubing and
compression fittings.

Terry wrote:
Just reading something else on this ng got me thinking!

Our long installed dishwasher is connected to hot water under the kitchen
sink cabinet by a rubber hose that IIRC came with it, via a shut-off, into
1/2 inch copper.

If it ever broke live hot water would spew out under the kitchen cabinet.
Below in the basement are some shelves which have books and papers etc.!

What is the recommended method of connection? Maybe a braided temperature
resistant hose?

TIA Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
Just reading something else on this ng got me thinking!

Our long installed dishwasher is connected to hot water under the kitchen
sink cabinet by a rubber hose that IIRC came with it, via a shut-off, into
1/2 inch copper.

Rubber hoses come in different qualities. Some can take a lot of
temperature for a long time, like the radiator and heater hoses in a car.
Eventually they will harden, crack or otherwise go bad.

Replace it with soft copper. A couple of compression fittings from the
existing copper to the machine will do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you can get get plastic drain pans for under your washing machine,
dishwasher, hot water tank.

also
"Save Your Floors Dishwasher Leak Catcher - This innovative floor mat
slides underneath your dishwasher to divert any water leak to the front
of the dishwasher. This will allow you to see the leak and make
necessary repairs. No more rotted out floors or leaking ceiling below.
No special tools necessary." see at:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp...=1021760&Acc=1

"Dishwasher Installation Kit - Has everything you need to connect your
dishwasher to your waterline, including a 6-foot braided stainless
steel waterline, a 3/8-inch compression union, an "L" fitting, a "T"
fitting, a spool of teflon tape, two wire nuts and two wood screws"
see at:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp...D=959346&Acc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a hose that has the braided stainless steel covering on it.
Trick is to not leave any hose on too long and but good ones (not made
in China) hoses.