DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Should I seal around the fireplace screen? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/137278-should-i-seal-around-fireplace-screen.html)

[email protected] December 27th 05 01:16 PM

Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

Morning All,

I just installed a new fireplace screen / door surround.

Eventhough the unit came with some of the fiberglass batting, it is not
sitting flush against the fireplace because of the unevenness of the
bricks. And although not huge, there are some air gaps around the
edges.

I was thinking I'd seal around the edges with a high heat mortar...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

Oscar_Lives December 27th 05 01:43 PM

Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Morning All,

I just installed a new fireplace screen / door surround.

Eventhough the unit came with some of the fiberglass batting, it is not
sitting flush against the fireplace because of the unevenness of the
bricks. And although not huge, there are some air gaps around the
edges.

I was thinking I'd seal around the edges with a high heat mortar...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

I have thoughts.

No December 27th 05 02:13 PM

Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

Just fluff out the fiber glass that came with the screen to bridge the gap.
If necessary go to a fireplace screen supplier to get more fiberglass and
fill it in. The purpose is to help cut down drafts when not in use.

Bob December 27th 05 03:30 PM

Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

And be aware that any of the front of your fireplace which is not
covered, but instead is open to the airspace inside of the fireplace,
will turn black from the smoke inside. If you make sure that the
fiberglass covers everything visible from the front before installation,
the fireplace will continue to look good after your remove the screen
sometime in the future.

Bob

George E. Cawthon December 27th 05 07:48 PM

wrote:
Morning All,

I just installed a new fireplace screen / door surround.

Eventhough the unit came with some of the fiberglass batting, it is not
sitting flush against the fireplace because of the unevenness of the
bricks. And although not huge, there are some air gaps around the
edges.

I was thinking I'd seal around the edges with a high heat mortar...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

Don't do that, it isn't necessary and it will look
like hell. Add a bit more fiberglass insulation
to the screen where it contacts the bricks. You
don't need, and probably don't want, a real tight
installation. Anyway there are plenty of leaks
where the glass opens and the shutter slide is.
All you want to do is just slow down most of the
air movement. When the fire burns out, you should
be closing the damper in the chimney, so there
will be very little air movement up the chimney
anyway.

CDET 14 December 28th 05 08:40 PM

Should I seal around the fireplace screen?

You don't want to seal off the front of the firebox opening because the
chimney needs "make-up air" to replace what goes up the flue. The
chimey system draws that air from the room and if the front of the
firebox is sealed, the chimney system will not function properly.
Alisa LeSueur
former Certified Chimney Sweep