Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles

Default New GE disposal - loud click when turned on?

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it
makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal.
It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff
if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use.
Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Theres a good chance that all it is are the blades moving outward.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DesignGuy

"Charles" wrote in message
Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it
makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal.
It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff
if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use.
Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?

Could it be a seed or something in the disposer that has fallen in?
Sometimes this will make a one click as it slams against the disposer
sidewall, but then is held in place by centrifugal force.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles

The unit is brand new, never used. It is like something slamming
outward when it starts spinning, or maybe a loose connection between
the drive motor and whatever it's driving - like slack is being taken
up.

I did find that it was incredibly more quiet when I installed the
little rubber thing into the opening. I couldn't believe it could
deaden the sound so much. I'm guessing it's operating as designed,
although I don't really understand why it needs to be this way.

DesignGuy wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on,
it makes a really loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is
normal. It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound
deadening stuff if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800
number was no use. Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it
ought to work?

Could it be a seed or something in the disposer that has fallen in?
Sometimes this will make a one click as it slams against the disposer
sidewall, but then is held in place by centrifugal force.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:50:16 GMT, "Charles" wrote:

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it
makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal.
It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff
if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use.

What happend when you called?

Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?

TIA

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charles" wrote in message
The unit is brand new, never used. It is like something slamming
outward when it starts spinning, or maybe a loose connection between
the drive motor and whatever it's driving - like slack is being taken
up.

I did find that it was incredibly more quiet when I installed the
little rubber thing into the opening. I couldn't believe it could
deaden the sound so much. I'm guessing it's operating as designed,
although I don't really understand why it needs to be this way.

Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the grinding.
Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try putting
some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I don't
know if it is normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski

Most disposals have a couple of metal parts that help with the
grinding.
Starting empty they may slam outward from centrifugal force. Try
putting
some garbage in and see if that stops the bang. Never had a GE so I
don't
know if it is normal. "

I agree. I've seen various makes of disposals do this too. But it's
usually only occasionally on start up, not all the time. Probably
depending on how some food left the grinding widgets when it shut off.
It seems to happen also if some small object, like a small pit has been
bouncing around inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles

mm wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:50:16 GMT, "Charles" wrote:

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on,
it makes a really loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is
normal. It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound
deadening stuff if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800
number was no use.

What happend when you called?

The person was nice enough, but she was just some phone answering lady
and I could tell she didn't actually know anything. She looked in her
database for known issues and found nothing and then basically blew me
off politely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charles, Diana Benobo wrote:
nospam wrote:

Just installed a new GE disposal ("disposall"). It's a 3/4 horse
GFC720F. It seems to be working, except when you first turn it on, it
makes a _really_ loud click. I'm trying to find out if this is normal.
It's like, what's the point of all the enhanced sound deadening stuff
if it's so flippin' loud when it starts? GE's 800 number was no use.
Anyone have one of these who can tell me how it ought to work?
TIA

I just replaced my 3/4 horse Kenmore with another 3/4 from Sears after 20+
years of service. The new one makes a LOUD CLICK! On startup. They new one
has a rotating plate of diffe%nt design. The old one had food-pushers or
blades that could spin 360 degrees. The new one has blades that click
against structures on their plate designed to stop them. I'm thinking that
it might be too noisy for me even though it might be designed to force
things more quickly into the grinding ring. IT ALSO HAS TEETH,v-shaped,two
of them, one pressed up and the other pressed down into this lower chamber
below them spinning plate.where there food exits from the grinder. The
teeth probably grab and push, but it also is less safe for people who
don't refrain from putting their hand into their machinery. I thought that
free spinning design to be my ideal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Even though the post you're replying to is 10 years old, thought I'd reply
in case anyone has a similar issue. I put in a Waste King a few years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

My contractor just installed 2 disposals for me, two different brands, and both are doing the same thing. I'm thinking the install was done incorrectly.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-on-73565-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM UTC-4, HorseJunkie wrote:
My contractor just installed 2 disposals for me, two different brands, and both are doing the same thing. I'm thinking the install was done incorrectly.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-on-73565-.htm

Having installed a few of these, I can't imagine what an installer could do that
would make the unit put out a loud click when starting. The blades on some
do make that noise. They are loose and made to move. With the power off
you can put your hand down in there and carefully feel them and see what I mean.
Also you can call the manufacturer's support line, see what they say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 9:15:07 AM UTC-4, HorseJunkie wrote:
My contractor just installed 2 disposals for me, two different brands, and both are doing the same thing. I'm thinking the install was done incorrectly.

--

Having installed a few of these, I can't imagine what an installer could do that
would make the unit put out a loud click when starting. The blades on some
do make that noise. They are loose and made to move. With the power off
you can put your hand down in there and carefully feel them and see what I mean.
Also you can call the manufacturer's support line, see what they say.

First off, the InSinkErator Evolution is my go-to disposal. I've had one for years with
not a single issue and I've bought and installed a few as housewarming gifts. Never
heard one complaint - and it's mostly family, so I would know.

Second, on rare occasions, mine - when fairly empty - will throw the blades and make a click.
Well, more of a clack. Never bothered me, probably because I know what is making the noise.

Listen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_4EK95Qedw&t=450s