DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installation of leviton porcelain lampholder (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/136219-installation-leviton-porcelain-lampholder.html)

chaos December 18th 05 08:12 PM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

I have a Leviton porcelain lampholder (29816-C) that I'm trying to
install in a closet. Currently there is a regular wall outlet above
the door frame. This outlet has 2 white, 2 black and a ground wire.

What's the correct way to connect this to the lampholder which has only
2 terminals and nowhere for the ground?

Edwin Pawlowski December 18th 05 08:15 PM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

"chaos" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Leviton porcelain lampholder (29816-C) that I'm trying to
install in a closet. Currently there is a regular wall outlet above
the door frame. This outlet has 2 white, 2 black and a ground wire.

What's the correct way to connect this to the lampholder which has only
2 terminals and nowhere for the ground?

You only need two wires. OTOH, you may be violating the building code.
Some do not allow light fixtures in closets due to the potential fire hazard
if left on and stuffed with clothing around them.

[email protected] December 18th 05 08:17 PM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

Tie the two black wires together along with another black wire which
you'll attach to the copper terminal on the lampholder. Tie the two
white wires together along with another white wire which you'll attach
to the silver terminal on the lampholder. The ground wire should be
able to be removed as long as there is another one that is attached to
the outlet box itself.

Chris Lewis December 19th 05 01:18 AM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

According to :
Tie the two black wires together along with another black wire which
you'll attach to the copper terminal on the lampholder. Tie the two
white wires together along with another white wire which you'll attach
to the silver terminal on the lampholder. The ground wire should be
able to be removed as long as there is another one that is attached to
the outlet box itself.

Uh, no. The ground wires should be connected together and to the box.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

mm December 19th 05 02:35 AM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

On 18 Dec 2005 12:12:31 -0800, "chaos"
wrote:

I have a Leviton porcelain lampholder (29816-C) that I'm trying to
install in a closet. Currently there is a regular wall outlet above
the door frame. This outlet has 2 white, 2 black and a ground wire.

What's the correct way to connect this to the lampholder which has only
2 terminals and nowhere for the ground?

"Nowhere for the ground." This would make a good children's movie,
about the ground wire that had no place to go.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

chaos December 19th 05 12:58 PM

installation of leviton porcelain lampholder

Right so it sounds like it's ok to use all 4 wires with this two
terminal device (2 white / 2 black).

Yes I just meant by "nowhere for the ground" that this device doesn't
have a grounding terminal :-) But it sounds like I can just connect
the ground to the metal box (if it's metal) in the wall.