Junior Member

Question Can you help fix an "open neutral"

First I installed a Fan in my living/dining room, then I installed a chandelier from another ceiling outlet... all good and every thing works just fine. However, some time later I discovered that my power drill would not work on the balcony GFCI outlet. The tester indicates "Open neutral." One circuit breaker controls all three plus a balcony light. Everything on this circuit works except the GFCI outlet, which is the furthest of all from the breaker box. The GFCI tests ok. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

Default Can you help fix an "open neutral"

--
G'day mates

Turn off the power to that circuit and replace the GFCI. If it works,
problem solved, if it doesn't, you have a spare. It just sounds like a bad
GFCI or either a disconnected neutral wire to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"G'day mates" wrote in message

First I installed a Fan in my living/dining room, then I installed a
chandelier from another ceiling outlet... all good and every thing
works just fine. However, some time later I discovered that my power
drill would not work on the balcony GFCI outlet. The tester indicates
"Open neutral." One circuit breaker controls all three plus a balcony
light. Everything on this circuit works except the GFCI outlet, which
is the furthest of all from the breaker box. The GFCI tests ok. Any
ideas? Many thanks in advance.

--
G'day mates

Revisit the two boxes you worked in. Make sure that the white neutral wires
are securely connected. You may need a wire nut one size larger if you
added a wire to the connection.

Simply put you have a loose connection at one of the two boxes.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:02:01 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"G'day mates" wrote in message

First I installed a Fan in my living/dining room, then I installed a
chandelier from another ceiling outlet... all good and every thing
works just fine. However, some time later I discovered that my power
drill would not work on the balcony GFCI outlet. The tester indicates
"Open neutral." One circuit breaker controls all three plus a balcony
light. Everything on this circuit works except the GFCI outlet, which
is the furthest of all from the breaker box. The GFCI tests ok. Any
ideas? Many thanks in advance.

--
G'day mates

Revisit the two boxes you worked in. Make sure that the white neutral wires
are securely connected. You may need a wire nut one size larger if you
added a wire to the connection.

Simply put you have a loose connection at one of the two boxes.

Colbyt

I thought the same thing. However, the GFI could be bad too. Aside
from buying and replacing the GFI. simply pop it out of the box and
put a meter across the feed wires. If you got 110 to 120V, the GFI is
bad. If not, you got a fault elsewhere. (If you dont have a meter,
just disconnect the GFI and temporarily put a standard 50 cent outlet
on those wires and plug in your drill. If drill works, replace GFI.
If not, you got wiring problems elsewhere.

Junior Member

Talking

It was the GFCI socket ... thanks for everyone who replied. Problem fixed. Thanks guys.