Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New gas furnace producing resonance in the cold air returns?

Anybody know how to fix an issue with a gas furnace producing resonance
in the cold air returns?

It sounds much like a tuning fork. When the furnace runs, you can hear
this medium-pitch humming in any room that shares a wall with a cold
air return. If you put your ear up against this wall, you can hear the
resonance very loud and clearly.

The noise is only present around the cold air returns on the 1st and
2nd floor of the house. If you go in the basement and stand next to
the furnace, you don't hear it at all.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if its the grills in front of the cold
air returns that are "whistling" from the air flowing by and making
this noise?

Failing that, are there products that you can use to line the inside of
cold air returns to try to prevent resonance?

York Affinity series (93.2%, 60,000 BTU).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody know how to fix an issue with a gas furnace producing resonance
in the cold air returns?

Now that I think of it, I wonder if its the grills in front of the cold
air returns that are "whistling" from the air flowing by and making
this noise?

Easy enough to determine. Remove one of the grills and see if it stops. If
so, you know what to do, just use a different style. Chances are, the new
furnace has a higher air flow. and that can chage the dynamics.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:56:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Anybody know how to fix an issue with a gas furnace producing resonance
in the cold air returns?

Now that I think of it, I wonder if its the grills in front of the cold
air returns that are "whistling" from the air flowing by and making
this noise?

Easy enough to determine. Remove one of the grills and see if it stops. If
so, you know what to do, just use a different style. Chances are, the new
furnace has a higher air flow. and that can chage the dynamics.

Even easier..........put you hand lightly on the grilles. You will
feel it vibrating if it is.
Couple ways to fix it. Slightly bend some of the fins on the grille.
It doesnt take much. If you dont want to do that, get some better,
more expensive grilles. Most builders buy the cheapest, thinnest
grilles made. They resonate a lot.
And of course, there is always the thought that the furnace is
oversize, fan running too high or the duct work is too small.
Bubba