Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

Default Carb on Tecumseh engine leaking gas

I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb. I changed the float, the needle and
the needle seat (rubber gasket). I put it back together and it still leaks
gas out of the carb, a fast drip.
Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

It leaks out of the hole where the choak flapper is located.

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Where's the leak from, exactly? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Gasket issue. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Err, you sure that float is actually doing anything??
Its got to be completely free. Also some bowles have
indentations on the bottom. If yours has that make sure
the side that would go the deepest would be on the side
where the float extends (drops down) the furthest.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

The float does seam to be free, the deep side of the bowl with the dimple is
in the correct possition. I can feel the float move up and down before I
remount the carb.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Err, you sure that float is actually doing anything??
Its got to be completely free. Also some bowles have
indentations on the bottom. If yours has that make sure
the side that would go the deepest would be on the side
where the float extends (drops down) the furthest.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

I removed the bowl whjile still mounted to the engine, the fload mover fine.
I opened up the gas valve and lifted the float gentley up and and the gas
stoped flowing. I did this a few times and the gas stoped flowing every
time. I mounted the bowl back on the carb, opened the gas valve and it still
leaks out the top on the carb. The float must not moving after the bowl is
attached. The bowl is mounted correctly, the deep side away from the hinged
part on the float.

"SlipKid" wrote in message
The float does seam to be free, the deep side of the bowl with the dimple
is in the correct possition. I can feel the float move up and down before
I remount the carb.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Err, you sure that float is actually doing anything??
Its got to be completely free. Also some bowles have
indentations on the bottom. If yours has that make sure
the side that would go the deepest would be on the side
where the float extends (drops down) the furthest.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rastus

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:14:59 -0500, SlipKid wrote:

I removed the bowl whjile still mounted to the engine, the fload mover fine.
I opened up the gas valve and lifted the float gentley up and and the gas
stoped flowing. I did this a few times and the gas stoped flowing every
time. I mounted the bowl back on the carb, opened the gas valve and it still
leaks out the top on the carb. The float must not moving after the bowl is
attached. The bowl is mounted correctly, the deep side away from the hinged
part on the float.

It's possible that the tang on the float bowl assembly may have
gotten bent, allowing tthe float to raise too high in the bowl.
Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Another possibility that I've run into with these before is that the
float may have a pinhole somewhere. Take it out and shake it gently
near your ear. You might hear or feel gasoline sloshing inside, which
means you should get a new float (some people might suggest soldering
the hole, but I'm not one of them).

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

just noticed that you've already changed the float, disregard my
unlikely). I think there's a specific adjustment you need to make per
Tecumseh instructions by putting a #4 drill bit (0.210") between the
carb body and the free end of the float, make sure the needle bottoms
out with the float at this height by "tweaking" the tab on the float
just a little up or down as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And ... the float height (position where it closes the valve) must be
set correctly, or ... the carb floods. This is not rocket-science-
just get the specs, meet them, and run it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:39:03 -0500, "SlipKid" wrote:

I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb. I changed the float, the needle and
the needle seat (rubber gasket). I put it back together and it still leaks
gas out of the carb, a fast drip.
Any thoughts?

Go on a LOW CARB diet and you wont have so much GAS....

Sorry, I could not resist !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:39:03 -0500, "SlipKid" wrote:

I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb. I changed the float, the needle and
the needle seat (rubber gasket). I put it back together and it still leaks
gas out of the carb, a fast drip.
Any thoughts?

Where is it leaking from; the throat or around the bowl? Did your
rebuild kit include gaskets for the top of the bowl and the bottom
retaining nut? If it has one, did you check the tickler drain on the
bowl? Did you check the float to be sure it would float (no holes)?
Adjust the float level?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

I removed the bowl while still mounted to the engine, the fload moves fine.
I opened up the gas valve and lifted the float gentley up and and the gas
stoped flowing. I did this a few times and the gas stoped flowing every
time. I mounted the bowl back on the carb, opened the gas valve and it still
leaks out the top on the carb. The float must not moving after the bowl is
attached. The bowl is mounted correctly, the deep side away from the hinged
part on the float. The float is new along with the needle and the needle
seat.
The float was adjusted using a #4 drill bit as per the instructions.

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:39:03 -0500, "SlipKid" wrote:

I purchased a rebuild kit for this carb. I changed the float, the needle
and
the needle seat (rubber gasket). I put it back together and it still leaks
gas out of the carb, a fast drip.
Any thoughts?

Where is it leaking from; the throat or around the bowl? Did your
rebuild kit include gaskets for the top of the bowl and the bottom
retaining nut? If it has one, did you check the tickler drain on the
bowl? Did you check the float to be sure it would float (no holes)?
Adjust the float level?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

I can use the snowblower, thats the main thing. I just shut off the gas
valve after I use it. I cannot solve the gas overflow problem. I changed the
float, needle and the needle seat. There is not much to it, but it has me
baffled.
Oh Well.
Thanks all for the help

"SlipKid" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

I guess you might want to check the new float for any leaks, it's a
long shot, but it would cause this type of problem. I know you've
already changed it, but it's still a possibility that you've had the
misfortune of buying a defective or damaged float.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to louie :
I guess you might want to check the new float for any leaks, it's a
long shot, but it would cause this type of problem. I know you've
already changed it, but it's still a possibility that you've had the
misfortune of buying a defective or damaged float.

Or, could the float be hanging up on the cup when it's installed?

Has the cup got a dent or ding? Could a section of cup seal ring be
coming adrift and obstructing the float? Does the cup have a
drain valve? Could that be interfering?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
SlipKid

I installed a new bowl gasket, the bowl does not have drain. I don't know
where the float is hanging up. I rechecked the new float, it does not have a
hole in it.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to louie :
I guess you might want to check the new float for any leaks, it's a
long shot, but it would cause this type of problem. I know you've
already changed it, but it's still a possibility that you've had the
misfortune of buying a defective or damaged float.

Or, could the float be hanging up on the cup when it's installed?

Has the cup got a dent or ding? Could a section of cup seal ring be
coming adrift and obstructing the float? Does the cup have a
drain valve? Could that be interfering?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same problem with Tecumseh lawnmower. I wonder if the
little clip on the needle valve could cause it to hang if not turned
the correct way? Diagram shows the closed U facing forward and the
open end facing towards the rear. The diagram also shows a small
O-ring between the bowl and the stem. I'll bet mine came off when I
removed the bowl.
Oh well, I installed a shut off valve and just turn it off as I head in
for the old barn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

worst case scenario is just keep on searching
on ebay and find one on there for cheap. If you
do and it solves your problem for the moment
then your in business. Keep the old one as a
spare for those sneaky blizzards when all hell
breaks loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
conan

Hi slip I have a suggestion. There could be rust or dirt in the gas. If
you get rust in the inlet it will flood it. Also a rotten fuel line
will leach bits of rubber into the carb causing flooding. It could also
be possible you put the neoprene seat in upside down. The side with the
little groove all the way around it goes in first. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rastus, Jas wrote:
If it's too high it would turn off. As the float raises, it should close the
seat. I'm having the exact same trouble. Remove the bowl and I can get it to
operate properly. Install the bowl and it acts like a bad float or needle and
seat. Tweaked the tab several times.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SlipKid, Jas wrote:
What did you find? I am having the exact same issue. No one can answer. And
instead of a carb rebuild kit, I bought a brand new one. New float, needle and
seat, etc! I adjusted the float level at least a dozen times by now. Just like
you say, it works fine without the bowl attached. Secondly I bought ANOTHER
new carb from amazon for $15 thinking I just had bad luck with the previous
new one. Guess what, it does the same thing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote:
Your float is drowning
Got to bend the metal tag
With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when it's closed off If
it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 20:14:05 GMT, RNZatv
m wrote:

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote:
Your float is drowning
Got to bend the metal tag
With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when it's closed off If
it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

Do you even know what a sunken float means?! Adjustment of the tab
won't prevent the problem.

Ask the gerbils.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote:
Your float is drowning
Got to bend the metal tag
With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when it's closed off If
it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

Do you even know what a sunken float means?! Adjustment of the tab
won't prevent the problem.

Ask the gerbils.

Quite likey dirt in the needle valve
Posted to alt.home.repair

caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_11523@example. com
wrote:

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote:
Your float is drowning
Got to bend the metal tag
With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when
it's closed off If
it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

Do you even know what a sunken float means?! Adjustment of
the tab
won't prevent the problem.

Ask the gerbils.

Quite likey dirt in the needle valve

Brass float? Or brown fibre float? If the latter, it
could be methanol soaking into it replacing the
internal air micro pockets making the float sink.
Replace it .... opinion slightly embellished..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 21:52:53 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

replying to Jas, RNZatv wrote:
Your float is drowning
Got to bend the metal tag
With the bowl off make sure that the float is level when
it's closed off If
it's not actually sink and let fuel keep coming in

Do you even know what a sunken float means?! Adjustment of
the tab
won't prevent the problem.

Ask the gerbils.

Quite likey dirt in the needle valve

Brass float? Or brown fibre float? If the latter, it
could be methanol soaking into it replacing the
internal air micro pockets making the float sink.
Replace it .... opinion slightly embellished..

In 45 years I've seen more dirt in needle valves than sunk floats by
a LARGE margin - particularky wiyh rubber hoses and ethanol gas.
Methanal is VERY rare in motor fuel - even most gasline de-icers no
longer use methanol. Of the few sunk floats I've seen, the vast
majority are brass floats that have cracked - I've soldered a few over
the yeats but I don't think many were tecumsehs.
I do remenber a few cork floats that had the shelac stripped off of
them by methanol gasline drier WAY back. - and a few fuel guage floats
on some Pipers and Aeroncas
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SlipKid, chris brown wrote:
I had the same problem. bent the tab that is on the float to push needle wider
and replaced the needle holding wire retaining pin in the opposite
direction.!! stopped leaking

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 10:14:06 PM UTC-5, chris brown wrote:
replying to SlipKid, chris brown wrote:
I had the same problem. bent the tab that is on the float to push needle wider
and replaced the needle holding wire retaining pin in the opposite
direction.!! stopped leaking
--

You're too late. 12 years ago SlipKid's lawnmower leaked gas and he didn't notice. When he pulled the rope starter there was a terrible explosion that killed SlipKid and his 236 pet gerbils. It was a tragic loss. His 37 children really miss him. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 06/12/2018 03:19 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
You're too late. 12 years ago SlipKid's lawnmower leaked gas and he didn't notice. When he pulled the rope starter there was a terrible explosion that killed SlipKid and his 236 pet gerbils. It was a tragic loss. His 37 children really miss him. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Oh the humanity! Clearly we need to ban lawnmowers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SlipKid, Jesse Clark wrote:
i had same problem. ran fine leaked by choke plate when sitting. swapped
needle, seat, float, gaskets, all. still leaked. tried every hocus pocus i
found on the net including checking float bowl for pinholes and finally
replaced my new replacement brass float with an old brass float off a parts
carb i found in my shed. now seems fine. just luck or cheap new brass float
(seemed fine no apparent leaks)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to chris brown, Dale Shockling wrote:
Thanks for the post chris brown . I had my carb off and on at least 6 times .
New needle & seat new float bowl . Still leaked read this and changed the clip
around , nothing else, and it stopped leaking and started up . A little rough
at first because the plug was probably a little fouled but cleared up and
smoothed out

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...gas-59950-.htm