Posted to alt.home.repair
William Stacy

Default York heat pump

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

So most units will have controls hardware installed that forces them into
into a reverse cycle mode in order that mass airflow capacity through the
outside coils can be regained--the outdoor fan will stop, yet the compressor
and indoors unit still runs....most notably, very cold air will be
typoically be felt coming from the inside supply registers if there is no
active backup heat during defrost.

I've seen that. The indoor fan is blowing cold, the outside fan is off,
the compressor is running, and there's a coating of ice all over the
fins. I'm curious as to why it's not programmed to stop the indoor fan
from running while this defrost cycle is working. Seems to make no
sense. Anyway, I appreciate all the input, even if it boors some of you
guys. I know I'm getting better info here than I'd get on
alt.home.repair. We get the same thing over on sci.med.vision, where I'm
a regular contributor. I have learned to skip the obvious and the
annoying, and to not waste time on the idiotic. Sorry if I missed a faq
that would have solved my problem.

Anyhow, I've got lots of ammo for when the boss from the install company
comes by. It makes sense that the heater board or whatever defrosts it
is out. BTW the serial # someone asked for is: (S) NKNM119678 if that's
of any consequense.

bill

oh and the e-mailer, he has a similar unit and was helpful, but
probably wrong in his notion that all heat pumps are designed to crap
out at 32 deg.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PrecisionMachinisT

"William Stacy" wrote in message
. net...

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

So most units will have controls hardware installed that forces them into
into a reverse cycle mode in order that mass airflow capacity through the
outside coils can be regained--the outdoor fan will stop, yet the

compressor
and indoors unit still runs....most notably, very cold air will be
typoically be felt coming from the inside supply registers if there is no
active backup heat during defrost.

I've seen that. The indoor fan is blowing cold, the outside fan is off,
the compressor is running, and there's a coating of ice all over the
fins. I'm curious as to why it's not programmed to stop the indoor fan
from running while this defrost cycle is working. Seems to make no
sense.

During defrost, the unit is essentially running as an air conditioner--the
indoors fan needs to be running so that some heat can be picked up from the
inside air--this heat is then rejected to the outside for the purpose of
melting the ice formation.

IF the the indoors fan wasn't running, then insuffient heat supply would
likely cause the indoors coil to also quickly freeze up....leading to
possible compressor damage due to floodback.

--

SVL

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

[...]

It is...since any York dealer like myself can post like what we did in
alt.hvac for you....you did get that didnt you?

bill

oh and the e-mailer, he has a similar unit and was helpful, but
probably wrong in his notion that all heat pumps are designed to crap out
at 32 deg.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
PrecisionMachinisT

"CBHVAC" wrote in message

"William Stacy" wrote in message
. net...

Anyhow, I've got lots of ammo for when the boss from the install company
comes by. It makes sense that the heater board or whatever defrosts it

is
out. BTW the serial # someone asked for is: (S) NKNM119678 if that's of
any consequense.

It is...since any York dealer like myself can post like what we did in
alt.hvac for you....you did get that didnt you?

Probly not--the concept of logging onto a "follow-up to" newsgroup that an
OP has been sent to is perhaps too much an alien concept to all too many
folks, IMO...

Still, I think the idea does have some merit--IF the process of getting them
to actually GO there could be gotten down pat...

( YOU LISTENING TO ALL THIS ****, MR. BERLIN) ???

Anyways......

Cheers, dude.

--

SVL

Heat Pump Lockout Temp [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 21st 05 09:35 PM
Cheap heating Russell Eberhardt UK diy 91 October 27th 05 02:30 PM
My first Heat Pump JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 6 December 3rd 04 08:12 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Replace of Heat Pump or Get new system? OKE Home Ownership 1 May 15th 04 08:16 PM