DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Does Locktite work on plastic (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/134455-does-locktite-work-plastic.html)

[email protected] December 6th 05 12:30 PM

Does Locktite work on plastic

I got a bathtub handle that keeps falling off. The cartridge is some
sort of plastic and a long 3" screw goes into it. But long or not,
the plastic si stripped so the handle falls off all the time. I plan
to replace the cartridge as soon as I can find out what the brand if
this faucet is, and then locate one. It's got no markings on it, and
then I will still have trouble finding the thing in this rural area.
In the meantime, I am looking for something to keep the handle on. I
put some of that heavy pink teflon tape on the screw and it helps a
little but the screw still turns forever. I was wondering about
locktite. Does it work on plastics? Of course, I do want to be able
to remove the handle in the future too.

Anyone ever tried this or have another idea?
I dont want to use a larger screw because that may split it, and then
I'm really screwed.

Thanks

Mark

buffalobill December 6th 05 12:58 PM

Does Locktite work on plastic

no loctite. install visegrips to use shower. if hot then foam pipe
insulation to cover hot visegrip.
plan on inconveniencing home occupants by turning off water supply to
tub when taking parts to town to compare them.
see also www.hdsupply.com for an overwhelming amount of handles and
stems.
or find your nearest plumber, those old timers often recognize the old
parts and have a much faster repair for you.

dadiOH December 6th 05 01:06 PM

wrote:
I got a bathtub handle that keeps falling off. The cartridge is some
sort of plastic and a long 3" screw goes into it. But long or not,
the plastic si stripped so the handle falls off all the time. I plan
to replace the cartridge as soon as I can find out what the brand if
this faucet is, and then locate one. It's got no markings on it, and
then I will still have trouble finding the thing in this rural area.
In the meantime, I am looking for something to keep the handle on. I
put some of that heavy pink teflon tape on the screw and it helps a
little but the screw still turns forever. I was wondering about
locktite. Does it work on plastics? Of course, I do want to be able
to remove the handle in the future too.

Anyone ever tried this or have another idea?
I dont want to use a larger screw because that may split it, and then
I'm really screwed.

Stick some wooden toothpicks in the hole then insert screw.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

C & E December 6th 05 05:30 PM

wrote in message
[...]

You might try packing the hole with an epoxy compound or even
auto body putty. Then, drill and tap.

Tim Killian December 6th 05 06:06 PM

wrote:
I was wondering about
locktite. Does it work on plastics?

Liquid Loctite softens and removes many paints, so I'd check before
using it on any important plastic parts.

Michael Daly December 6th 05 06:20 PM

On 6-Dec-2005, wrote:

I was wondering about locktite.

Loctite works on threads - which you've stripped. It doesn't
bridge a gap very well.

If you can't get a replacement part, I like the suggestion to
pack the hole and tap with a new thread.

Mike

mm December 7th 05 12:58 AM

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 06:30:37 -0600, wrote:

I got a bathtub handle that keeps falling off. The cartridge is some
sort of plastic and a long 3" screw goes into it. But long or not,
the plastic si stripped so the handle falls off all the time. I plan
to replace the cartridge as soon as I can find out what the brand if
this faucet is, and then locate one. It's got no markings on it, and
then I will still have trouble finding the thing in this rural area.
In the meantime, I am looking for something to keep the handle on. I
put some of that heavy pink teflon tape on the screw and it helps a
little but the screw still turns forever. I was wondering about
locktite. Does it work on plastics? Of course, I do want to be able
to remove the handle in the future too.

Anyone ever tried this or have another idea?
I dont want to use a larger screw because that may split it, and then
I'm really screwed.

I agree about using a toothpick or two. Round. If it's real crowded
in there, use a flat toothpick or two, a wooden kitchen match, or one
split lengthwise.

Or glue. Rather than drill and tap, I personally would use 30 or 5
minute epoxy and put the screw in when it hadn't hardened yet. If
there isn't a lot of force on the screw, and it's not too wet, and you
want to make it easy to get the screw out later, Ambroid Cement,
available only at hobby stores, I think. Dries quickly, except I
guess maybe not so fast in your case where there won't be any air
around it.
Thanks

Mark

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let