Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

Default baseboards bled, but still no heat.

Ok guys I've been googling up the wazoo today to try to figure this out.

I have a two zone system, upper and lower. Gas furnace, one pump(Grundfos
Type UP 15-42F), two valves(Honeywell V8048E), and baseboards.

here she is: http://www.diezfamily.us/images/bs/AUT_2702.JPG

I thought I had frozen lines but when I bleed the zones water flows just
fine. So I followed the procedures to purge each zone and started the
system back up.

Well, I still only have heat to PART of the upstairs zone and no heat
downstairs. I'm at a loss what to try next. The thermostats are working,
the solenoids/valves are working, the aquastat is working, all manual valves
are open, PSI is good(15). I can feel the pipes are nice and hot coming out
of the furnace but they go into the concrete so it's hard to trace.

Actually, downstairs there is a little in a baseboard about 4 feet from the
furnace, but that's it. And, to make things even more fun.. the first floor
pipes are in the concrete floor so I can't get to them or trace their exact
route! grrrrrrr. I think this one warm baseboard is the first unit off the
furnace..

Can it be my pump is dying and can't get the whole system flowing? The
thing is so quiet I can't tell if it's on or off.. It's a Grundfos Type UP
15-42F, by the way.

What else can I try???

Thanks,

T-- (thank God for gas fireplaces!)

Please reply to group.. I'm trying to remain spam-free.

Posted to alt.home.repair
wannabe

Diezmon wrote:

What else can I try???

Thanks,

How do you know the thermostats are working, you say you can't tell if
it's off or on, (since it runs so quiet)

You claim partial heat upstairs, could it be full heat upstairs? and
you are missing the downstairs heat rising?

I saw the picture, what a beast!

my 2cents

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If you are sure that the zone valves are opening, check that you have 120
volts at the pump, if so and the problem isn't air in the line, it's
possible that the pump is jammed internally or just dead

"Diezmon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

I know the thermostats are working because they properly turn on the system.
I've checked and double checked everything with the voltmeter as well.

Can it be my pump is dying and can't get the whole system flowing? The
thing is so quiet I can't tell if it's on or off..

I couldn't tell if the pump was working, or that's what I meant by the
'thing'

no full heat upstairs.. It's hard to explain but each zone has two physical
loops. The upstairs: About 3 feet from the furnace it splits at a T to
these two loops to the upstairs. Then, they return to another T on the
return loop, just before the furnace. One loop heats up perfectly, the
other loop stays cool even though both are fully open... very weird. I
_think_ I eliminated the possibility of blockage, since when purging the
water flows freely.

In the pic you can see the two loops for the downstairs(the taller two going
into the concrete), and the return T just before returning to the furnace.

The downstairs baseboards, also a single zone with two physical loops, stays
cold. But, those two pipes coming out of the furnace, into the floor, are
HOT.

A beast? I was thinking it was pretty simple.. which is why I can't for the
life of me, figure out the problem!

Tim

"wannabe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Diezmon wrote:

What else can I try???

Thanks,

How do you know the thermostats are working, you say you can't tell if
it's off or on, (since it runs so quiet)

You claim partial heat upstairs, could it be full heat upstairs? and
you are missing the downstairs heat rising?

I saw the picture, what a beast!

my 2cents

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

Yep, got 120 at the pump. My guestimate is that it IS the pump.. but how to
find out?

Since the one loop always works fine, it's confusing the sh*t out of me
The one loop that does work is located fairly vertically above the furnace,
so I was wondering if it's just the heat rising up and through.. BUT the
return is nice and hot too..

Tim

"Diezmon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Diezmon" wrote in message
[...]

With the solenoid valves open manually the pump may still not be called upon
to start. You may only be feeling heat due to gravity fed convection of
water in the pipes. With both valves open, the pump may not have the
capacity to serve both zones, try closing one valve. Turn the thremostat up
or down to see if you can hear a relay click in the heater or a difference
in the pump noise or vibration.

Sure sounds like the pump is not doing the job. You can check to see if AC
is sent to it and you should still be able to tell if it is running by feel
or by peeking in a vent hole in its case.

Often the pump motor is connected to the pump impeller by a spring and arm
mechanism. It absorbs startup shock when the motor kicks in but if the
springs break, the motor will spin but the pump will be still.

The pump motor and pump (impeller) itself should be considered seperately
when troubleshooting because either can fail independent of the other even
though they look like one unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

Are you sure you know how to bleed the system PROPERLY? An air pocket

could
account for one zone working fine and another one being cold.

Well, when I bled each zone, closing its shutoff valve and opening the purge
valve, the water coming out was solid and flowing. I let it run for a
while, and then bled them again. And yes, I had the supply running.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"PipeDown" wrote in message

Sure sounds like the pump is not doing the job. You can check to see if
AC is sent to it and you should still be able to tell if it is running by
feel or by peeking in a vent hole in its case.

The pump motor and pump (impeller) itself should be considered seperately
when troubleshooting because either can fail independent of the other even
though they look like one unit.

This sounds like the most logical explanation. Especially if it has been
sitting inactive over the summer things like that tend to pop up at startup
time.

BTW, you don't have a furnace, you have a boiler. Furnaces heat air,
boilers heat water. Using the wrong terminology will get nothing but
disrespect if you go to the plumbing supply house for a part.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

BTW, you don't have a furnace, you have a boiler. Furnaces heat air,
boilers heat water. Using the wrong terminology will get nothing but
disrespect if you go to the plumbing supply house for a part.

Thanks for the tip

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

yep, I sure did.

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 01:55:42 GMT, "Diezmon"
wrote:

Are you sure you know how to bleed the system PROPERLY? An air pocket

could
account for one zone working fine and another one being cold.

Well, when I bled each zone, closing its shutoff valve and opening the

purge
valve, the water coming out was solid and flowing. I let it run for a
while, and then bled them again. And yes, I had the supply running.

Tim

Did you start at the highest and furthest from the boiler and work your

way
back? It makes a difference.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I've never heard of shutting off a valve in order to bleed. I've always done
it with the valve open.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Diezmon" wrote in message
m...

Are you sure you know how to bleed the system PROPERLY? An air pocket

could
account for one zone working fine and another one being cold.

Well, when I bled each zone, closing its shutoff valve and opening the purge
valve, the water coming out was solid and flowing. I let it run for a
while, and then bled them again. And yes, I had the supply running.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

maybe we're getting our terms mixed up? I'm actually 'purging', which is
done from the boiler area. There aren't any bleed valves in any of the
radiators of the house.

You close the valve to centralize your purging to the zone you want to work
on. so you're purging one zone at a time..

Tim

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've never heard of shutting off a valve in order to bleed. I've always

done
it with the valve open.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
It's longer in the short run
but shorter in the long run.
.
.

"Diezmon" wrote in message
m...

Are you sure you know how to bleed the system PROPERLY? An air pocket

could
account for one zone working fine and another one being cold.

Well, when I bled each zone, closing its shutoff valve and opening the

purge
valve, the water coming out was solid and flowing. I let it run for a
while, and then bled them again. And yes, I had the supply running.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 01:28:47 GMT, "Diezmon"
wrote:

Yep, got 120 at the pump. My guestimate is that it IS the pump.. but how to
find out?

Disconnect the power to the pump, and see if anything changes.
If it doesn't, the pump's not working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:00:09 GMT, "Diezmon"
wrote:

Ok guys I've been googling up the wazoo today to try to figure this out.

I have a two zone system, upper and lower. Gas furnace, one pump(Grundfos
Type UP 15-42F), two valves(Honeywell V8048E), and baseboards.

here she is: http://www.diezfamily.us/images/bs/AUT_2702.JPG

I thought I had frozen lines but when I bleed the zones water flows just
fine. So I followed the procedures to purge each zone and started the
system back up.

snip

I'll add my .02.

Your circulator is on the return side, so one would normally suspect
an air lock, especially with one zone (sort of) working.

If I understand you, you:

1. Made sure makeup feed valve was full open.

2. Closed the shutoff on the return line of one of the zones.

3. Opened the drain valve on the inlet side of the circulator. This
allows water to flow from the makeup feed, through the backflow
preventor, through one of the zones, and out the drain valve. Flow was
good and strong.

4. You repeated this for the other zone.

If this is what you did, you pressure purged the system properly, and
should not have significant air in the loops.

If you are then still not getting circulation it is most likely the
circulator.

But you can try another thing first.

I don't see a boiler drain valve in the picture, but I assume there is
one there. Turn off the burner and let things cool a bit. Close
the valve on the outlet side of the boiler. Repeat your purge but
use the boiler drain valve instead of the one up on the inlet side of
the circ. This will force water to flow through through the
circulator and the boiler.

If you still get a solid, forceful flow (not just the boiler draining,
then it really is most likely the circulator.

Shut it down, close all the valves, and drain the boiler down below
the point where the circ is plumbed in. Remove the circ and bench
test it.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Diezmon

snip

1. Made sure makeup feed valve was full open.
2. Closed the shutoff on the return line of one of the zones.
3. Opened the drain valve on the inlet side of the circulator. This
allows water to flow from the makeup feed, through the backflow
preventor, through one of the zones, and out the drain valve. Flow was
good and strong.
4. You repeated this for the other zone.
If this is what you did, you pressure purged the system properly, and
should not have significant air in the loops.

Yep, that's what we did for both zones.

We did try one more thing to try to rule out air and/or a frozen line: We
ran hot water through each zone, using the utility sink as our hot water
source. I won't bore you with details of how we did it( unless anyone's
interested ), but all baseboards are working properly, nice and hot. This
also allowed me to verify where the piping goes in the first floor where
everything is embedded in concrete

snipped the rest

I'm now convinced it's the pump, and picked a new one up today. Once I get
the old one off, and prove that it's fried, I'll install the new one

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses!

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Some pumps, you can look in between the pump and the motor, and see if the
coupler is spinning around.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote:

Yep, got 120 at the pump. My guestimate is that it IS the pump.. but how

find out?

Disconnect the power to the pump, and see if anything changes.
If it doesn't, the pump's not working.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"JJ" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:00:09 GMT, "Diezmon"

Either you have a bad zone valve or your

expansion tank is bad.

Tell me about this expansion tank thing. Am I ever
supposed to empty it? It has a fitting on it for a
garden hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Kathy wrote:

Either you have a bad zone valve or your

expansion tank is bad.

Tell me about this expansion tank thing. Am I ever
supposed to empty it? It has a fitting on it for a
garden hose.

alt.hvac added (help us out here pros!)

Hey you guys, that was a lady asking, tell us some more!

I've already read quite a bit of misinformation in this thread,
as I'm having the same problem with my Grundfos 15-42 F.

It's darn cold, and I don't know if the pipes are froze,
or if there is a blockage, or and air lock, or the pump
is just gone. There is no vent hole, I've got no backup
valves, the flow control valves won't turn manually,
some kind of ancient TACO crap, frozen solid.

The upstairs zone is going like gangbusters with
the big B&G pump, but the downstairs Grundfos
zone just quit, no flow, no hot pipes past the flow
control valve, registers dead cold. The pump is running
and I went out and got a little bleeder key, but
where the hell do I start? I want to do it right.

If I have to take the pump out, I'll have to drain
the system, so I may as well put in an air
scoop, backup valves etc, but maybe it could
be something simple, like that air tank.

Questions.

If one zone is working, do I forget the air tank?

How often do those old check valves freeze up?
I notice there is a plug on the bottom, can I just
remove that and clear it of any crap in there?

Help us out pros!

http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Posted to alt.home.repair
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On 19 Dec 2005 09:00:16 -0800, wrote:

Kathy wrote:

Either you have a bad zone valve or your

expansion tank is bad.

Keep this **** in alt.home.repair.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey MF, are you having problems with the
meaning of alt.hvac, or just the pronounciation'
of alt.hvac, or perhaps the spelling of alt.hvac?

Or maybe you don't know how to use a filter
file because you are just butt ****ing dumb.

Let me guess, you're an american, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair, alt.hvac

From: - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:29:02 GMT
Subject: baseboards bled, but still no heat

wrote :

Keep this **** in alt.home.repair

Hey MF, are you having problems with the
meaning of alt.hvac, or just the pronounciation'
of alt.hvac, or perhaps the spelling of alt.hvac?

Or maybe you don't know how to use a filter
file because you are just butt ****ing dumb.

Let me guess, you're an american, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:40:44 GMT, yourname wrote:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair, alt.hvac

From: - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:29:02 GMT

wrote :

Keep this **** in alt.home.repair

Hey MF, are you having problems with the
meaning of alt.hvac, or just the pronounciation'
of alt.hvac, or perhaps the spelling of alt.hvac?

Or maybe you don't know how to use a filter
file because you are just butt ****ing dumb.

Let me guess, you're an american, no?

Let me guess, you're a ****ing asshole, right ?

No, I'm an american looking for information
on both alt.home.repair and alt.hvac. You
seem to be having some problems with that.

Nevertheless, my problems remain, and my
problem does't happen to be some wannabe
usenet cop with a major chip on his shoulder
and too dumb to use a usenet filter file. My
problem is one of my zones is down, and
my system is some kind of plumbing
nightmare. Perhaps you were the one
who put this piece of **** together, no?

If not, then all you have to do is plug
my handle into your filter file, and then
let the adults get back to our business
of hvac and home heating repair.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org

don't listen to that moron, seems to think that alt.hvac is his private
fiefdom.

**** you sideways.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

yourname wrote:

If not, then all you have to do is plug
my handle into your filter file, and then
let the adults get back to our business
of hvac and home heating repair.

don't listen to that moron, seems to think that alt.hvac is his private
fiefdom.

It turned out to be a frozen pipe after all.
Hopefully I haven't thrashed the Grundfos.

It cost me $0.24 for a bleeder key at Ace.

However, I am now an expert at hydronics,
and I have all the .pdfs for my equipment.

Well thanks everybody, you've all been great!

It's so nice to know you gentleman are standing
by to help us in our quest to better ourselves,
here on the good old alt.hvac.worthless.trolls.

Every newsgroup has a couple of them.
This place is no different from the rest.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

The expansion tank allows for just that, as the water is heated it
expands and needs somether to go so it expands into that tank. Notice
the drain is at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

You're absolutely right lifeform1. Dickheads are certainly in evidence
in this newsgroup. No one really knows why this newsgroup is supposed
to be for techs only, but apparently it is. Even though they're
arrogant MFer's who trash all "home-moaners" who attempt to post here.
I'm glad that you found your answer in this site, but I still think
that it's full of prick lickers who enjoy felching each other on a
regular basis. Yes, I know about this because one of your fags has
ratted the rest of you out. I only hope to enjoy the fruit of my new
technology heating post that will be forthcoming in the near future.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air

wrote in message
oups.com...
You're absolutely right lifeform1. Dickheads are certainly in evidence
in this newsgroup. No one really knows why this newsgroup is supposed
to be for techs only, but apparently it is. Even though they're
arrogant MFer's who trash all "home-moaners" who attempt to post here.
I'm glad that you found your answer in this site, but I still think
that it's full of prick lickers who enjoy felching each other on a
regular basis. Yes, I know about this because one of your fags has
ratted the rest of you out. I only hope to enjoy the fruit of my new
technology heating post that will be forthcoming in the near future.

I am all for new technologies, too bad you have nothing better to do than to
whine about NG trolls.
Your NG reader came with a killfile(this is existing technology).
When you learn to use it, the trolls will go away.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Nexus7 wrote:
wrote:

It turned out to be a frozen pipe after all.

Thanks for posting the resolution to your issue and making Usenet a
better place.

No problem. For those who are interested, here is my
fault tree analysis. I took down all the ceiling panels
to expose the piping, determined flow direction, etc.

It's a one pipe system with diverter tees, so the
radiators are basically paralleled up on the feeder
pipe, but in sequence along the pipe. I started the
pump, got my ear right down next to it to verify
that it was indeed running, and then started
bleeding a little water from each radiator,
starting from the outlet of the boiler, where
I assumed I had at least some positive
pressure. The water ran clear and hard
so basically there was no air, and all
I was accomplishing was removing water
from the system. I went along the entire path
until I encountered a radiator that either
did not produce a pressurized stream
of water, or no water at all, and thus
isolated my blockage in the main pipe.

Then I went down and verified that there
was an outside draft impinging on one
of my diverter tees, hung a little electric
heater from the rafters directed at that
particular area, and inside of an hour
I had flow again. The adding of isolation
valves and an air seperator will have to
wait until the next time I have to change
out a pump.

Actual solid blockage of scale or lime,
or a bad pump, would have been a much
larger job. I would have had to totally
flush and purge the system. Whoever
started this thread must have had a
real battle on their hands. I feel your
pain, really, but these are fairly simple
systems that are well documented :

http://www.bellgossett.com/

http://www.burnham.com/56000.cfm

http://www.burnham.com/pdfs/layout.pdf

There is lot's more good stuff out there.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org