Posted to alt.home.repair
Bradley V. Stone

Default Wayne Dalton iDrive opener problem

Hello!

I have an 8' single garage door that has low clearance. So I installed
Wayne Dalton iDrive opener (for torsion spring).

It went great, and worked great for about a month. But now, it seems to
be binding (the opener itself, not the door or the bar, etc).

Last night I closed it and notice it didn't close and the cables came
off the pullys. Darn.

So, fixed that and returned the torsion spring. Then tried opening it
by hand to see if it was binding. Sure enough, about 3/4 of the way up,
it binds. Even with the door opener release engaged (so you can
manually open it).

I took both gear sides off (the metal part that slides onto the motor
and turns the bar). Opened great. Tried putting only one side on each,
bound with either side on. Only opened without them attached to the gear.

The only thing that has changed is the weather. It's down in the single
digits now, below zero at night. I don't think this could be the issue.
The garage itself is heated and normally stays at 50 degrees F.

Any ideas? I don't see how it could bind 3/4 of the way up and when the
release is activated. The motor and bar have already made many full
revolutions by then...

Any ideas? Or call tech support and just have them waste my time? Or
exchange the unit? (bought at menards)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/04/05 08:07 pm Bradley V. Stone tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have an 8' single garage door that has low clearance. So I installed
Wayne Dalton iDrive opener (for torsion spring).

We have one too (also from Menards), but on a double door.

It went great, and worked great for about a month. But now, it seems to
be binding (the opener itself, not the door or the bar, etc).

Last night I closed it and notice it didn't close and the cables came
off the pullys. Darn.

But if the opener ran and the cables came off, doesn't that mean that
the door is binding, not the opener?

So, fixed that and returned the torsion spring. Then tried opening it
by hand to see if it was binding. Sure enough, about 3/4 of the way up,
it binds. Even with the door opener release engaged (so you can
manually open it).

And if it binds when the release handle is pulled -- thus disengaging
the opener from the door -- it must be the door itself that's binding,
not the opener.

I took both gear sides off (the metal part that slides onto the motor
and turns the bar). Opened great. Tried putting only one side on each,
bound with either side on. Only opened without them attached to the gear.

The only thing that has changed is the weather. It's down in the single
digits now, below zero at night. I don't think this could be the issue.
The garage itself is heated and normally stays at 50 degrees F.

Any ideas? I don't see how it could bind 3/4 of the way up and when the
release is activated. The motor and bar have already made many full
revolutions by then...

It must be the door itself that's binding, not the opener.

Any ideas? Or call tech support and just have them waste my time? Or
exchange the unit? (bought at menards)

Lubricate the door tracks and rollers, and check their alignment.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Bradley V. Stone" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I helped my brother insulate his garage door. Then brother decided to "set
the tension" cause the door was heavier. 3 hours later it was still broke.
He finally called a pro and they came out on a Saturday spent an hour for
$75.00 and it was perfect. The guy adjusted 20-30 different items. Places I
would have never thought of.

Call some pros and explain the situation. See what it will cost. I always
call the guys from Lincoln door now. It just aint worth my frustration.