Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Better flapper seal

There is a bit of draining after a minute or so after flushing the toilet.
Tried replacing the flapper. Pretty much got the same result. I'm using
the popular orange 'Corky' flapper sold at Home Depot. There is a slight
imperfection in the brass pipe (?) that the flapper rests on. Don't know if
that is that is the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a
better seal from this flapper.

The toilet is an older 'Standard' toilet probably 30 years old or so. The
plumber across the street recommends I replace the whole toilet unit with
all it's fixtures. I figure that might run me $200+ or so with
installation. I'd rather settle for the temporary $5.00 fix if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

They do make aftermarket seats for flappers. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Charlie S. wrote:
There is a bit of draining after a minute or so after flushing the toilet.
Tried replacing the flapper. Pretty much got the same result. I'm using
the popular orange 'Corky' flapper sold at Home Depot. There is a slight
imperfection in the brass pipe (?) that the flapper rests on. Don't know if
that is that is the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a
better seal from this flapper.

The toilet is an older 'Standard' toilet probably 30 years old or so. The
plumber across the street recommends I replace the whole toilet unit with
all it's fixtures. I figure that might run me $200+ or so with
installation. I'd rather settle for the temporary $5.00 fix if possible.

You might want to try one of the 87 cent flappers
at Walmart. I tried a Corky once and ever could
get it to seal, something was wrong with the geometry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

flusher fixer by fluidmaster is your answer. on all 18 of our toilets.
see:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/flush_products_555c.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Schofield

I had the same problem with a Kohler, after using the generic flapper from
the plumbing supply house. So for twice the price I tried a Kohler flapper
and all is well.
"Charlie S." wrote in message
There is a bit of draining after a minute or so after flushing the toilet.
Tried replacing the flapper. Pretty much got the same result. I'm using
the popular orange 'Corky' flapper sold at Home Depot. There is a slight
imperfection in the brass pipe (?) that the flapper rests on. Don't know
if
that is that is the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a
better seal from this flapper.

The toilet is an older 'Standard' toilet probably 30 years old or so. The
plumber across the street recommends I replace the whole toilet unit with
all it's fixtures. I figure that might run me $200+ or so with
installation. I'd rather settle for the temporary $5.00 fix if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:56:58 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

There is a bit of draining after a minute or so after flushing the toilet.
Tried replacing the flapper. Pretty much got the same result. I'm using
the popular orange 'Corky' flapper sold at Home Depot. There is a slight
imperfection in the brass pipe (?) that the flapper rests on. Don't know if
that is that is the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a
better seal from this flapper.

The toilet is an older 'Standard' toilet probably 30 years old or so. The
plumber across the street recommends I replace the whole toilet unit with
all it's fixtures. I figure that might run me $200+ or so with
installation. I'd rather settle for the temporary $5.00 fix if possible.

I have 3 26-year-old Elgers.

Ihadleakage with "univeral" flappers, so I kept shopping and found a
particular one that worked fine. I bought 3 and then a few years
later I bought 2 cases** of them, 24, iirc. I'm figuring that will
last me to the end of my life, at least if I get 6 years out of each
one, I'll be 94. If they last longer, I'll give them to neighbors or
include them with the sale of the house.

**After a mom&pop hardware store cloesd, I had to hunt for the model
on google. Onlly got 4 hits but one was in Baltimore, where I live.,
..

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.