Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve K

Default Outdoor basketball hoop question

I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve K" wrote in message
I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Thanks

My son's got one of those. The top is almost flat, enough so that we were
able to use paver stones for weight in the winter. I wasn't comfortable with
leaving the water in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You answered your own question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work ok?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work ok?

Mark

You'd think so, but I left a watering can filled with water on my porch. It
froze solid and the ice pushed the bottom of the metal can into a round
shape. Very weird. Half the top of the can is wide open - plenty of room for
expansion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

I empty mine & lay it down in back yard, but that is because I
transport it to my church gym and set it up as a 3rd hoop for a little
3-on-3 bball tourney that we have over the Christmas Holiday. If I
left water in it would be a solid block of ice and could not empty it
for transport.

If I did not have to move it every winter, I think I would fill it with
sand and leave it up year round. I am pretty certain leaving water in
would crack base, but with dry sand, you are good to go all year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

Steve K writes:
I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during
winter?

It's a worthy thing to worry about. I'd be inclined to cruise to the
manufacturer's web site and look around for a FAQ or a customer
service phone number. It has to be a pretty common question ya'd
think.

I was interested enough to search on it and found this:

"The best option to fill your portable basketball goal is with
non-toxic antifreeze, which is recommended to protect pets and the
environment. Antifreeze will keep the base from cracking from frozen
water in the winter and also keep the bacteria to a minimum in the
summer heat."

From:
http://www.atlantahoops.com/portable...all_goals.html

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Attwood

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work ok?

Mark

You'd think so, but I left a watering can filled with water on my porch. It
froze solid and the ice pushed the bottom of the metal can into a round
shape. Very weird. Half the top of the can is wide open - plenty of room for
expansion.

If the ground was warmer than the air then it probably froze from the
top and sides down towards the ground, creating a nice plug that
apparently was stronger than the bottom of the can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:23:54 -0500, Steve K wrote:

I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Fill it with 65%/35% ethylene glycol antifreeze/water. or
pure propylene glycol with no water.
If it freezes then, you've got bigger problems than a busted
basketball hoop.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Brian Attwood" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work ok?

Mark

You'd think so, but I left a watering can filled with water on my porch.
It
froze solid and the ice pushed the bottom of the metal can into a round
shape. Very weird. Half the top of the can is wide open - plenty of room
for
expansion.

If the ground was warmer than the air then it probably froze from the
top and sides down towards the ground, creating a nice plug that
apparently was stronger than the bottom of the can.

That makes sense. It was on a cement porch where snow still melts when it
lands - the cement hasn't totally cooled down yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Steve K" wrote in message
I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Thanks

Did you ever think of contacting the manufacturer? I'm sure they Have had
this question before. I would think freezing water would be a issue when
designing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve K

In article ,
Goedjn wrote:

If it freezes then, you've got bigger problems than a busted
basketball hoop.

--Goedjn

What do you mean about having a bigger problem if it freezes?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve K" wrote in message
In article ,
Goedjn wrote:

If it freezes then, you've got bigger problems than a busted
basketball hoop.

--Goedjn

What do you mean about having a bigger problem if it freezes?

Anti-freeze all over the place. Good if you're trying to get rid of the
neighbor's dog permanently, but otherwise, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

"Steve K" wrote in message
In article ,
Goedjn wrote:

If it freezes then, you've got bigger problems than a busted
basketball hoop.

--Goedjn

What do you mean about having a bigger problem if it freezes?

Off the top of my head, I think he means it's like -70 deg F....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

"Mark" writes:
if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work
ok?

Unfortunately for this problem, water freeze from the top down.

This property of water, however is fortunate overall, since none of us
critters would be here if water froze from the bottom up.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Hit Walmart or a hardware store and get the "RV" anti-freeze. It is
non-toxic, made to be put in water lines for winter storage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Steve K" wrote in message
I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Thanks

It tells you right in the instructions to use non-toxic antifreeze in
it.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Steve K wrote:
I bought my young son an outdoor basketball hoop, the kind where you
fill the base with water.

Well, winter is coming and my gut feeling tells me to empty the water so
it doesn't freeze and expand, possibly breaking the plastic base.
Without water in it, the stake that holds it to the ground just doesn't
seem good enough to keep it from falling over and seriously hurting
someone. I really have no where to lay it down. I'd rather it stay where
it is. I don't really want to put sand in it.

Any thoughts? Is it okay to just leave the water in it during winter?

Thanks

Ever heard of antifreeze? Check the volume of
water to see how much antifreeze you need for the
extreme temperature you expect. And check with
the manufacture if antifreeze is ok (it
undoubtedly is ok).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

yeah I remember reading that once, I don't recall why...enlighten us...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
yeah I remember reading that once, I don't recall why...enlighten us...

Mark

So life can happen underneath when the top is frozen. Useful in fresh water
environments.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

Just realized that this is in response to a rather old post (12/1). Here is
what prompted this:

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"Mark" writes:
if you leave the top open so the water can expand, won't that work
ok?

Unfortunately for this problem, water freeze from the top down.

This property of water, however is fortunate overall, since none of us
critters would be here if water froze from the bottom up.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

______________________________

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
yeah I remember reading that once, I don't recall why...enlighten us...

Mark

So life can happen underneath when the top is frozen. Useful in fresh

water
environments.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Just fill it with Rocks and then fill in the rest of it with sand. Then
in 10 years when it bust, Throw it away.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mark, Doug wrote:
Water is most dense at 39 F (4 C). Therefore, as water approaches 32 F (but
not isothermally), the least dense water (i.e. coldest) floats to the top and
then freezes. In the bucket problem described above, I suspect the frozen ice
was bonded to the sides of the bucket. Then as the rest of the water frozen
under this ice cap it needed to expand upon freezing. Because the water
(under the ice cap) is constrained, the pressure increases. In this case, as
the pressure increase, the pressure needed to expand the walls of the bucket
was lower than the pressure needed to push the ice cap upward. Result:
expanded base of the bucket.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ion-57404-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Doug Kanter, Doug wrote:
ethylene glycol is poisonous. Propylene glycol can be used as a food
additive. Therefore, propylene glycol is a much better choice in this case.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ion-57404-.htm

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good mac davis Woodworking 0 April 21st 05 06:38 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 06:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 06:22 PM