Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

Default Ceramic tiles changing color

Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have
started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right
now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am
concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

look at your warranty and use it if its not to late.

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

KJ, 11/29/2005,7:36:47 PM, wrote:

Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower
have started to change color. First one, then another and on it
goes. Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it
is spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on
this.

Any suggestions?

Aren't ceramic tiles baked and glazed? I find it hard to believe they
are fading. Maybe a good cleaning is in order.

--
"Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at
them." -- Jimmy DeMaret
Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

I called the inspector and he said that the cleaning stuff I use was too
harsh. I think that is bunk, since I use the same stuff sold at every
supermarket in America!

I guess I am going to have to go to the next step.

Thanks.
Kim

"m Ransley" wrote in message
look at your warranty and use it if its not to late.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ

Hello,

Aren't ceramic tiles baked and glazed? I find it hard to believe they
are fading. Maybe a good cleaning is in order.

You don't seriously think I would post here without having tried every
cleaning product there is, do you? That's just insulting.

I have used Lysol, Softscrub, straight bleach (when I had tried all else)
and even scrubbing bubbles. I tried scrubbing the tiles with a brush and
cleaners and it didn't matter. Only one thing remains the same, the
discoloration is spreading now up to nine tiles.

I used the same cleaning products when I had and aparment with bathroom
tiles, and have never seen anything like this.

Ugh!

God bless,
Kim

"badgolferman" wrote in message
KJ, 11/29/2005,7:36:47 PM, wrote:

Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower
have started to change color. First one, then another and on it
goes. Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it
is spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on
this.

Any suggestions?

Aren't ceramic tiles baked and glazed? I find it hard to believe they
are fading. Maybe a good cleaning is in order.

--
"Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at
them." -- Jimmy DeMaret

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"KJ" wrote in message
m...
Hello all, I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the
shower have started to change color. First one, then another and on it
goes. Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is
spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this. Any
suggestions?

Sounds like they are staining from the back of the tiles. There may be water
trickling into the more porous or unglazed part of the tile, either through
the grout (could be bad grout) or leaking from somewhere else. The pattern
and location of discoloration may give you a hint where the moisture is
coming from. The bottom row suggests you may have a pan leak or a trickle
down the wall, especially if the pattern is clustered below the faucets. If
the color is brown or reddish, it may be iron oxide leached from nails or
other hardware behind the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Default Ceramic tiles changing color- Roger Taylor et. all

Hello,

The origonal color is beige. The color it is changing into is a very
blueish or greyish (almost like a shadow cast over it) and part of each tile
is affected. I did notice and inform the builder of a hairline crack in the
bottom (shower floor) tiles last year, but he said that the there was a
[rubber pan (liner) installed under the tile area intended to eliminate
further damage']. He then said the hairline crack was a 'settlement crack'
and should be OK. Strange thing too is that the tiles changing are not the
ones under the shower faucet but rather the ones on the farthest wall and
the attaching wall. The fact that it is spreading is really gettting to me.

I wanted a second opinion before I went to my lawyer on this, so thank you.

Thank you also "badgolferman" and M Ransley.

If you have any other opinions on this, please feel free.

Thanks.

God bless,
Kim

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
m...
Hello all, I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in
the shower have started to change color. First one, then another and on
it goes. Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it
is spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.
Any suggestions?

Sounds like they are staining from the back of the tiles. There may be
water trickling into the more porous or unglazed part of the tile, either
through the grout (could be bad grout) or leaking from somewhere else. The
pattern and location of discoloration may give you a hint where the
moisture is coming from. The bottom row suggests you may have a pan leak
or a trickle down the wall, especially if the pattern is clustered below
the faucets. If the color is brown or reddish, it may be iron oxide
leached from nails or other hardware behind the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Floor cracking, settling crack? Ive seen hundreds of 100 year old
houses with no cracks in shower floors, thats a hack crack, a poor job
done somewhere. You don`t need an atty just be sure your warranty time
is inforce, get a few bids and go file in small claim, when does the
warranty expire, got any photos. Is tile still smooth, enamel is still
on,, did you try a razor blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve IA

KJ wrote:
Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have
started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right
now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am
concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

Can anybody else see the change in colors, or is it just you?
Might be the mushrooms or the stuff your smokin,
8^)

Steve
--
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I think your on the right track, Sounds like there is some kind of water

build in the wall ( walls) Water might be going threw grout lines and
soaking Baker board or floated walls. I've torn out a couple showers were
the walls had moisture in the floated walls. One thing not mentioned what
kind of finish is on the tiles High gloss or flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

The inspector saw the change in color and so did the builder.

Please don't reply to my emails unless you have usefull information. You
are wasting my time.

God bless,
Kim

"Steve IA" wrote in message
KJ wrote:
Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower
have started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes.
Right now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is
spreading I am concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

Can anybody else see the change in colors, or is it just you?
Might be the mushrooms or the stuff your smokin,
8^)

Steve
--
Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

I am not sure what type of finish. I didn't have the house built, but
rather went through a program to get it brand new (I was allowed to choose
the color of carpet).

I will try to find out what type of finish. If I can (builder isn't very
repsonsive).

God bless,
Kim

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Default Ceramic tiles changing color- m Ransley

Hi m Ransley,

"m Ransley" wrote:
Floor cracking, settling crack? Ive seen hundreds of 100 year old
houses with no cracks in shower floors, thats a hack crack, a poor job
done somewhere.

That is what I thought. The inspector didn't even mention moisture (I had
to bring it up) and then he just gave the rediculous 'cleaning products'
excuse. But he and the builder saw the discoloration and acknowledged it.

The warrantee expired a few days ago, but I have already filed with the
state before the warrantee was over.

I will take photos, and get a few bids, see what independent contractors
say. The tile is still smooth, but I notice some tiles are now further away
from the wall than the others (maybe by 1/16"). I "think the enamel is
still on those 'bad' tiles, I am not sure. I think I will have to tell you
that one after I get a few bids, to see what the contractors say.

I scraped a razor on a 'bad' tile and nothing happened. I tried on one of
the 'good' tiles and there was a little mark, which I was able to rub off
with my finger.

Thanks.

God bless,
Kim

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Floor cracking, settling crack? Ive seen hundreds of 100 year old
houses with no cracks in shower floors, thats a hack crack, a poor job
done somewhere. You don`t need an atty just be sure your warranty time
is inforce, get a few bids and go file in small claim, when does the
warranty expire, got any photos. Is tile still smooth, enamel is still
on,, did you try a razor blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Hello Sacramento Dave,

I think it is flat gloss (doesn't look shiny to me) but I have to check. I
think it is a moisture issue too. I will post when I get more info.
Hopefully in a few days.

Thanks.

God bless,
Kim

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

I think your on the right track, Sounds like there is some kind of water

build in the wall ( walls) Water might be going threw grout lines and
soaking Baker board or floated walls. I've torn out a couple showers were
the walls had moisture in the floated walls. One thing not mentioned
what
kind of finish is on the tiles High gloss or flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

you can get (or the inspector has) a moisture reader that can tell you if
the substrate has water in it.

"Kim" wrote in message
t...
Hello Sacramento Dave,

I think it is flat gloss (doesn't look shiny to me) but I have to check.
I think it is a moisture issue too. I will post when I get more info.
Hopefully in a few days.

Thanks.

God bless,
Kim

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

I think your on the right track, Sounds like there is some kind of water

build in the wall ( walls) Water might be going threw grout lines and
soaking Baker board or floated walls. I've torn out a couple showers were
the walls had moisture in the floated walls. One thing not mentioned
what
kind of finish is on the tiles High gloss or flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

KJ wrote:
Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have
started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right
now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am
concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

It's a little hard to envision the pattern of discoloration .. lower
part of wall opposite the shower head? Floor? There could be haze from
the grout, or sealer, that is discoloring. Got hard water? Tried a lime
remover to see if it is lime deposits? Did builder leave extra tiles?
If there is a spare, you might get the mfg. name from it. I would try a
tile store - not the home supermarket - to see if there is a cleaner
that will remove old haze/sealer.

I can't imagine a tile discoloring from behind, but don't know
everything ) Some glazes have metals in them that could react with
other chemicals, but that is too scientific for me.

I replaced the grout in our shower a while back, and scrubbed like mad
to prep for it. There was grayish discoloration on floor in center that
I really scrubbed, but didn't remove. Finally got a 3M pad and
Fantastic and gave it another go - finally got it all off. Just plain,
old-fashioned dirt from standing in the same spot. There was also a
good deal of soap scum that I didn't get the first time - mainly below
the soap dish, and not very evident due to color/pattern of tile.
Finally got the razor scraper and took off ton of soap scum.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 04:01:15 GMT, "KJ" wrote:

I called the inspector and he said that the cleaning stuff I use was too
harsh. I think that is bunk, since I use the same stuff sold at every
supermarket in America!

What stuff is that?

I guess I am going to have to go to the next step.

Thanks.
Kim

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Default Ceramic tiles changing color-Norminn

Norminn,

The tiles that have changed so far are the bottom row of tiles, closest to
the floor of the shower. I hope that is clear enough.

Well, I tried the razor and got nothing.

As far as the 3m pad, please do tell exactly what pad is this, since there
are many, I don't know which one you tried. I would love for it not to be a
water problem and just a tough stain, but I have kept a clean house for so
long, and have tried so many things since this began, it is highly unlikely,
but I would try it to make sure if I was certain of the 3m pad you used, and
getting Fantastic is obviously no problem.

It seems you are also referring to the grout. I am not referring to the
grout, which is fine. I am referring to the tile only. None of the tiles
on the floor of the shower have changed (yet) just the bottom row on the
wall.

The builder left extra tiles, I will look at them to see what info I can get
on them, and also on any info on tile changing color.

I am still leaning towards water damage, but thank you for your suggestions,
as if they are in fact the case would be much easier to deal with.

God bless,
Kim

"Norminn" wrote in message
link.net...
KJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:29:17 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

I replaced the grout in our shower a while back, and scrubbed like mad
to prep for it. There was grayish discoloration on floor in center that
I really scrubbed, but didn't remove. Finally got a 3M pad and
Fantastic and gave it another go - finally got it all off. Just plain,
old-fashioned dirt from standing in the same spot.

Not tile but a plastic shower stall with a textured, non-slip floor.
When I bought the house, I had to apply Scrubbing Bubbles (Dow?)
literally 20 times in some places to get all the dirt out of the
valleys. I kept asking myself, Why am I doing this when I'll probably
not do it again for years? The first and only owner and only
resident seemed like a clean, presentable guy. Why is his dirt worse
than my dirt? I cleaned it anyhow.

There was also a
good deal of soap scum that I didn't get the first time - mainly below
the soap dish, and not very evident due to color/pattern of tile.
Finally got the razor scraper and took off ton of soap scum.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:59:22 GMT, "Kim"
wrote:

Norminn,

The tiles that have changed so far are the bottom row of tiles, closest to
the floor of the shower. I hope that is clear enough.

Well, no. Does it go all around all 3 sides? Or is it higher in some
columns than in others? Where in relation to the shower nozzle did
it first appear? In relation to the door?

This is a mystery. All clues are needed.

Well, I tried the razor and got nothing.

You said you scratched a clean tile. Does that mean you used the
razor as a knife. I think the suggestor meant for you to use it as
a scraper.

I was going to ask if the tile seemed as smooth as the good tiles. If
not, it's probably dirt. Nothing you've mentioned or that occurs
naturally could damage the surface, afaik. If it is as smooth as the
good tiles, it could be a different kind of "dirt" that is smooth, or
maybe something is changing t he color.

Have you tried Bon Ami cleanser? I don't think you listed it.
"Hasn't scratched yet." Every household should have a container of
it.

[...]

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
KJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Kim wrote:
Norminn,

The tiles that have changed so far are the bottom row of tiles, closest to
the floor of the shower. I hope that is clear enough.

That is what I thought I understood )

Well, I tried the razor and got nothing.

As far as the 3m pad, please do tell exactly what pad is this, since there
are many, I don't know which one you tried. I would love for it not to be a
water problem and just a tough stain, but I have kept a clean house for so
long, and have tried so many things since this began, it is highly unlikely,
but I would try it to make sure if I was certain of the 3m pad you used, and
getting Fantastic is obviously no problem.

Green 3M. I am certain that the first time I tried to attack my dirty
shower floor that I used the 3M but it remained just a trace of gray
haze. I doubt your problem is the same. It is also possible, I'm sure,
to damage some tile with a 3M, but it was all that would get our dirty
shower floor clean.

It seems you are also referring to the grout. I am not referring to the
grout, which is fine. I am referring to the tile only. None of the tiles
on the floor of the shower have changed (yet) just the bottom row on the
wall.

The builder left extra tiles, I will look at them to see what info I can get
on them, and also on any info on tile changing color.

Do you have neighbors whose homes were built by same builder?

I am still leaning towards water damage, but thank you for your suggestions,
as if they are in fact the case would be much easier to deal with.

With one row of tile being only problem, I would lean toward a bad batch
of tile. If water damage, the wall should be spongy or showing problems
in other ways - what is on back side of the wall?

God bless,
Kim

Good luck. )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Default Ceramic tiles changing color-mm

mm,

Picture a shower stall, the door is one side, one attaching wall has the
faucet, the other two walls are tile-only and those two walls are oppposite
the the shower door, and opposite the wall with the faucet. The first tile
changed on the wall oposite the the faucet wall. Then the next few started
changing on the wall oposite the shower door. Afterwards it started to
spread, only the bottom row of tiles only on the 2 walls; one of which is
opposit the shower head and the other which is opposite the shower door, in
other words, the tile-only walls are the only ones with the discolored tile.

The discolored tile is no higher or lower on either wall. The discoloration
is in odd shapes and does not take up the whole of any one tile.

I used the blade as a scraper.

The tiles are as smooth on the surface as the 'good' tiles.

Bon Ami. Harder to find in my area, but will try to find and use if I can.

Kim

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kim

Thanks for the info on 3m.

Yes, several neighbors have the same builder. None report this problem as
far as I know.

Of the 4 walls:

1. Shower door, only one bottom row of tiles and then the door above; no
tile problems yet.
2. Showerhead wall, the other side is my bedroom wall.
3. Long side wall, tile-only; the other side of this wall is some space
between the shower wall and my bedroom closet wall, the space is all closed
off with drywall so the bedroom wall runs across.
4. Shower wall opposite the showerhead; tile only and the other side of that
wall is the den wall.

I know that may sound confusing, but that is the best I can do, I just
finished connecting a dvr and darn near lost it with the pitiful manual!

Initially I would agree with you that bad tile could be it, but since it is
spreading, I can't say if the this discoloration is bad tile, or water
damage or what. It just happens to be that this is how it started, but only
time will tell if these tiles are the only ones that will change.

I am hoping to get some contractor info/bids week after next. I will ask if
they have the moisture check device before they come so I can see for myself
what is going on.

In the meantime, I will try the other solutions and update in a few days.
That DVR-install wiped me out! Ugh!

God bless,
Kim

"Norminn" wrote in message
link.net...
Kim wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

KJ wrote:

Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have
started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right
now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am
concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

The fact that its the bottom row makes me wonder - are they full tiles
or were they cut to fit?

If cut, maybe something from either the thinset mortar or grout or even
water itself is leaching into the tile from the cut edge.

If whole tiles, then that's less likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

After several years in ceramics I can't imagine damaging tile with a
3M abrasive! Raw clay is baked at required temperature and allowed to
cool then the glaze is applied and baked to a higher temperature,
around 2000°, and allowed to cool. A MAJOR abrasive would be needed
to get into the glaze coating! IF the tile in question was made in a
country NOT USA disregard above. PLEASE post when problem is
resolved!

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:08:21 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

It is also possible, I'm sure,
to damage some tile with a 3M, but it was all that would get our dirty
shower floor clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Call a priest.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"KJ" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I have a house, built less than 2 years ago. The tiles in the shower have
started to change color. First one, then another and on it goes. Right
now, it is the bottom row that is changing but since it is spreading I am
concerned. The builder had no answer for me on this.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same issue house is a year old they are changing. I read because watery might have been trapped
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am having the same problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

Its the drywall behind tiles.tiles and grout is not 100% waterproof.there is not cement board behind tiles.it must be green drywall which they say is waterproof but its only to some extent. Second is the glue used for tiles. It should be thinset cement in cement or beckerboard. Water goes through the silicon or grout or tiles and with moisture drywall gets wet which discolored the tiles