DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/133290-re-metal-halide-arc-bulbs-home-crazy.html)

Joshua Putnam November 28th 05 06:28 PM

Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

In article , ignoramus4324
@NOSPAM.4324.invalid says...
I wonder if I can use the following bulbs to light varios areas of my
home where I like to have a lot of light:

400 watt BT37 Mogul Base Coated Horizontal Burn +/- 15 degrees High
Output Position Oriented Metal Halide Sylvania Light Bulb

You certainly can, they're excellent for indirect lighting
applications, use them in a fixture that throws the light up at the
ceiling for very diffuse, low-glare lighting. I used to have a 400W
halide fixture for my cathedral-ceiling living room -- a huge,
dramatic wall sconce at one end lit the whole room with light bounced
off the wall and ceiling.

I worked for a time in an architect's office that had 240W halides
throughout, bounced up off the high ceiling, it was beautiful
lighting for that work, almost no distinct shadow when your hand
moved over a drawing, since there was light coming at it from all
angles.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/