DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/133167-re-when-how-can-i-paint-over-antifreeze.html)

Wayne Whitney November 28th 05 01:56 AM

When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

On 2005-11-27, jim evans wrote:

I intend to saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop
the rot, then prime and paint it.

My understanding is that antifreeze (ethylene or propylene glycol) is
used as a carrier for rot treatments, and is not itself a rot
treatment. For example, TimBor is basically boric acid with
antifreeze.

Cheers, Wayne

Goedjn November 28th 05 05:58 PM

When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:56:32 -0600, Wayne Whitney

On 2005-11-27, jim evans wrote:

I intend to saturated the bottom edge with antifreeze to kill/stop
the rot, then prime and paint it.

My understanding is that antifreeze (ethylene or propylene glycol) is
used as a carrier for rot treatments, and is not itself a rot
treatment. For example, TimBor is basically boric acid with
antifreeze.

I'd use Tim-Bor or Bora-care depending on whether you've
sanded first. (Isn't Timbor a powder?) That will not only
kill the existing mold/fungus, it will inhibit future
growth, too. And it's less likely to result in squirrels
eating the side of your house, and then crawling into
the bathroom vent to die.

Wayne Whitney November 28th 05 10:19 PM

On 2005-11-28, Goedjn wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:56:32 -0600, Wayne Whitney

For example, TimBor is basically boric acid with antifreeze.

I'd use Tim-Bor or Bora-care depending on whether you've
sanded first. (Isn't Timbor a powder?)

Yes, Tim-Bor is a powder, I meant to say Bora-Care is basically boric
acid with antifreeze.

Thanks, Wayne

m Ransley November 28th 05 10:54 PM

When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

Antifreeze will kill everything longer than bleach, animals and your
pets to

mm December 1st 05 06:43 AM

When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze?

wrote:

My understanding is that antifreeze (ethylene or propylene glycol) is
used as a carrier for rot treatments, and is not itself a rot
treatmen

You understanding is incorrect.

Then why are you planning to use just the antifreeze, and not the
stuff that kills mold?

jim

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.