Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Broken Braun Shaver

Hello

I have a mdium-old rechargeable Braun shaver which stopped working. The
oddity is that it charges fine and also it runs fine if I take the foil
off. If I put
the foil back on, it's inert. I looked over the foil/screen and there
is no damage
apparent. Any idea? Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dave D

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello

I have a mdium-old rechargeable Braun shaver which stopped working. The
oddity is that it charges fine and also it runs fine if I take the foil
off. If I put
the foil back on, it's inert. I looked over the foil/screen and there
is no damage
apparent. Any idea? Thanks.

Is this a model where the foil assembly also has a trimmer? If so, the
trimmer could be seized, or perhaps its linkage isn't engaging properly and
jamming the motor.

If not, it could be a weak motor. How easy is it to stop the motor by
applying resistance to the blades?

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Ken Weitzel

Dave D wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello

I have a mdium-old rechargeable Braun shaver which stopped working. The
oddity is that it charges fine and also it runs fine if I take the foil
off. If I put
the foil back on, it's inert. I looked over the foil/screen and there
is no damage
apparent. Any idea? Thanks.

Is this a model where the foil assembly also has a trimmer? If so, the
trimmer could be seized, or perhaps its linkage isn't engaging properly and
jamming the motor.

If not, it could be a weak motor. How easy is it to stop the motor by
applying resistance to the blades?

Dave

Hi...

Another possibility? Possible since it's "medium old", the batteries
have reached that point where they can deliver susfficient current to
spin the motor unloaded, but not enough under load...

Quick and dirty test for that would be (again) to carefully touch
some moving part with the foil off; see how easy it is to stall it.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dave D

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
newsV3if.626987$1i.290049@pd7tw2no...

Another possibility? Possible since it's "medium old", the batteries
have reached that point where they can deliver susfficient current to
spin the motor unloaded, but not enough under load...

Certainly possible, and the most likely answer, but I assumed the fault was
evident on both batteries and mains.

Quick and dirty test for that would be (again) to carefully touch
some moving part with the foil off; see how easy it is to stall it.

That could also indicate a weak motor or seized components. If it's like my
old Braun shaver it has a built in SMPS and intelligent charging circuit,
there could also be a fault there.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler

Always suspect the batteries first!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
Always suspect the batteries first!

You may have a point. :-)

The shaver is a model 5471, with the popup "long hair trimmer". I
checked
all the linkages and cleaned everything possible, and the shaver (and
the
popup thing) only would work with the foil taken off. Same situation
with
the thing pluged in, so I thought the battery was fine, but I let it
charge
overnight, it acted the same, but by the second day of lying unused,
the
battery was dead. Survey says ... battery problem.

At this point I assume the answer is just to write the thing off and
get a
get shaver. Thanks for the help.