Posted to alt.home.repair
Wawa

Default Help fixing a running toilet

After I flush, the flapper doesn't completely cover the hole. I have to
physically remove the live and push it down.

Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Wawa wrote:
After I flush, the flapper doesn't completely cover the hole. I have
to physically remove the live and push it down.

Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Well that would depend on why it is not seating. Likely it is catching
on something (likely an adjustment needed) or it is defective, replacement
needed. If it is old and the rubber hardened then it needs replacement.
Make sure the surface it is sealing is smooth, you may need to smooth it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wawa

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Wawa wrote:
After I flush, the flapper doesn't completely cover the hole. I have
to physically remove the live and push it down.

Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Well that would depend on why it is not seating. Likely it is catching
on something (likely an adjustment needed) or it is defective, replacement
needed. If it is old and the rubber hardened then it needs replacement.
Make sure the surface it is sealing is smooth, you may need to smooth it.

I just did a test flush with the lid off and it appears that the flapper
doesn't cover the hole because it gets stuck on the piping that it's
attached to.

When I flush, the metal bar on the handle pulls the flapper up, and when it
goes to settle back down, the junction piece that attaches the flapper to a
the plastic piece of piping seems to get stuck.

So it seems that either the junction piece or the piping (which is kind of
brown-looking) is the problem.

Thanks for your help. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.