Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Jack

Default Stabil Fuel Additive

I've had a can in the outside garage for around three years. Does it
get stale like gasoline and lose effectiveness, or does it have an
indefinite life?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Joseph Meehan

Jack wrote:
I've had a can in the outside garage for around three years. Does it
get stale like gasoline and lose effectiveness, or does it have an
indefinite life?

Like anything it can get old, but it does have a long shelf life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Jack

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:51:49 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Jack wrote:
I've had a can in the outside garage for around three years. Does it
get stale like gasoline and lose effectiveness, or does it have an
indefinite life?

Like anything it can get old, but it does have a long shelf life.

Thanks. Found this:

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?
2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly
capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faq...=sta-bil&ID=80

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

wrote:

Jack wrote:

I've had a can in the outside garage for around three years. Does it
get stale like gasoline and lose effectiveness, or does it have an
indefinite life?

Like anything it can get old, but it does have a long shelf life.

Thanks. Found this:

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?
2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly
capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faq...=sta-bil&ID=80

I wonder how long if not opened?

Actually the info at the site doesn't make sense.
One oz in 2-1/2 gallons gas keeps the gas fresh
for 12 months, and to keep gas for 24 months use
twice as much Sta-bil. But, pure sta-bil is good
for only 24 months after being opened. In other
words, everything goes bad in 24 months. The site
also say that gas can go bad in 60 days.

Anyone who has 3 vehicles and only 2 drivers and
anyone who has a vehicle used only for recreation
in the summer knows that gas does not go bad in
60 days. In fact, for most of us, gas regularly
stays fine for a minimum of 6 months. In a full
tank gas stays fine for at least 12 months and
probably for 24 months. 24 months for gas is
getting iffy, but then sta-bil according to the
site isn't good for more than 24 months either.

Sounds to me like Sta-bil and gas deteriorate at
about the same rate.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Jack

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:37:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

wrote:

Jack wrote:

[...]

24 months? Even 12 months is stretching it.

In the past, my untreated mowers and tractors, shut down in October,
would not start in April unless I added fresh gas to the tank.

The guy who services the chain saw said to change the gas every month
and told me to always use high octane. Maybe 2-cycle engines are
touchier, I dunno.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Jack wrote:

[...]

You might want to think about changing your
service guy! Think about what adding oil to gas
does to the octane.

If your mowers and tractors won't start in April
then you are doing something wrong that has
nothing to do with gasoline deterioration.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Joseph Meehan

Jack wrote:

In the past, my untreated mowers and tractors, shut down in October,
would not start in April unless I added fresh gas to the tank.

I just run my stuff dry in the fall. No problems in the spring. I do
put a little stabilizer in it on the last run.

The guy who services the chain saw said to change the gas every month
and told me to always use high octane. Maybe 2-cycle engines are
touchier, I dunno.

High octane will not help in any way. I suggest your guy does not know
as much as he thinks. He still may be doing a good job for you. I also
think the idea of changing out the gas every month is a hoot. It stays in
the stations tanks longer than that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Sealing Plastic Fuel Tank 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 5 November 21st 05 05:14 PM
Diesel shutoff valve?? SomeBody Metalworking 9 July 19th 05 12:25 AM
Gas Dan_Musicant Home Repair 51 January 6th 05 03:24 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM