Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat that goes down to 32F?

I need a thermostat (simple mercury switch style) that goes down to 32F
or so, so I can heat a space only just enough to keep it from freezing.

So far, no luck.

Plan B is to just mount a regular thermostat, tilted, so as to skew the
temperature range. Just need the right night to calibrate it...

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a thermostat (simple mercury switch style) that goes down to 32F
or so, so I can heat a space only just enough to keep it from freezing.

So far, no luck.

Plan B is to just mount a regular thermostat, tilted, so as to skew the
temperature range. Just need the right night to calibrate it...

Dave

line or low voltage?

Freezing starts above 32 F when I needed freeze protection I chose 40F,
small safety margin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

24v for a forced-air oil-fired unit, in the garage.

yeah, I'm looking for something that actually goes a little lower,
because if the lowest setting was 35 or so, the error tends to be worse
near the ends, so to speak.

I find myself intrigued by this unit:
http://www.heatline.com/Thermostats.htm
The thermostat pigtail would be useful.

Wiring in a relay is no biggie, or I maybe I could actually use it to
switch the 120V for the 24v transformer, depending on how the unit is
actually wired.

Wouldn't want to wire the furnace in directly, as it wouldn't run the
blower after the thermostat shuts off.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, I have some experience with things freezing, I know.
See my prev. reply, and also, I'm tracking down the coldest spot along
the pipe run, and I'll put tjhe thermostat there.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, I have some experience with things freezing, I know.
See my prev. reply, and also, I'm tracking down the coldest spot along
the pipe run, and I'll put tjhe thermostat there.

Dave

I have some experience with it also. You don't want a 32 degree T'stat no
matter where you think the cold spot is. I won't go below 40.

You may want to consider other methods. I know of one setup that will not
turn on the heat unless the outdoor temperature is below 33 degrees. I
have one building where the heaters are on timers. During very cold spells
I can have the thermostats do the work, but in milder times, it will only go
on for two one hour periods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I want to set a thermostat for 40, I'd like some settings below
that, since errors tend to be much worse near the edges of a
thermostats range, and less near the middle.

I know that this garage stays a fair bit warmer than the outside, so
I'm hoping to control it via thermostat vs timer or other means.
I just filled up that oil tank, and it hurt!

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I want to set a thermostat for 40, I'd like some settings below
that, since errors tend to be much worse near the edges of a
thermostats range, and less near the middle.

Well you seem to be pretty much set in your ways, even after you were
given some very good advice. What the heck, use a 32 degree stat if
you can find one...

He might enjoy a $10 Thermocube:

http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BEW19.html

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, seems very few here actually have the ability to read the damn
post.

I said that if I want a setpoint of 40, I don't want that to be the
very lowest setting on the thermostat because the errors are going to
be worse at the edges of the setting range. Capische?

If the thermostat goes down to 30, and I set it for 40, it'll probably
work better than a thermostat that goes down to 40, and is set for 40.

Smartass. Thanks for contributing something useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's pretty nifty, moreso because its cheap!

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's pretty nifty, moreso because its cheap!

What is?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gingertoad

Wrote:[color=blue]
wrote:

He might enjoy a $10 Thermocube:

http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BEW19.html

Nick

What an interesting device! Thanks for posting the URL, Nick.

--
Gingertoad
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...32f-54677-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 7 Dec 2020 04:45:02 +0000, Donnell Spivey
wrote:

How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

This is not twitter. You can give some details. What kind of
thermostat is it? What's it intended for? How do you use it? What's
the brand and model number?

If it's a heating/cooling thermostat, I'd fill the house with ice and
try different temperatures until I found the highest one that didn't
make the ice melt much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

Use an old mercury stat and mount it "clocked". Calibrate the
mounting angle with an ice cube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/20 10:45 PM, Donnell Spivey wrote:
How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

The original question went back 15 years. Ed P.
is the only name I recognized from way back.
32 degrees Fahrenheit doesn't leave much margin for error.
Someone suggested using a refrigerator thermostat.
Can one get a thermostat for livestock tank heaters or maybe
a thermostat for an engine block heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donnell Spivey formulated the question :
How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

Use a frigorific mixture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigorific_mixture
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 8:30:07 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/6/20 10:45 PM, Donnell Spivey wrote:
How do I caliber my thermostat that go down to 32

The original question went back 15 years. Ed P.
is the only name I recognized from way back.
32 degrees Fahrenheit doesn't leave much margin for error.
Someone suggested using a refrigerator thermostat.
Can one get a thermostat for livestock tank heaters or maybe
a thermostat for an engine block heater?

I have a little AC plug-in module intended to turn on a heater to stay above freezing.
Not sure what exact temp it maintains, but somewhere just above freezing, think it might be ~37.
It's called Easyheat. But I also saw reviews years ago where people complained they
failed, so some investigation is warranted. Back then HD had them. And if this is for
freeze protection, you probably want some margin above 32, unless you;re able to locate
it in the coldest spot and what you need to protect is where it is sure to be warmer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/20 8:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I found this with a little searching.
https://www.amazon.com/HEATIT-Freeze-Thermostatically-Controlled-Outlet/dp/B074HVYDV1
The next question would be about some sort of warning device if the
heat fails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

That looks just like the Easyheat one that I have. Probably all made in China, cheap.
There should be a market for better ones that cost say $35 - 50 that include a warning
either audible or wifi, etc.