Posted to alt.home.repair
siralfred

Default Have you used a propane space heater?

Hi all, just hoping someone can give me some advice on choosing a
propane powered space heater for my garage. It's about 350 sq ft with

9' ceiling, so 10 - 15K BTUs should be sufficient. If you've had
experience with any particular make and/or model, good or bad, please
share. What are the pros and cons of vented and ventfree models, etc?

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"siralfred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, just hoping someone can give me some advice on choosing a
propane powered space heater for my garage. It's about 350 sq ft with

9' ceiling, so 10 - 15K BTUs should be sufficient. If you've had
experience with any particular make and/or model, good or bad, please
share. What are the pros and cons of vented and ventfree models, etc?

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

How do you know that 10 to 15K is sufficient? My garage/shop is about 400
sq. ft. and my 30,000 Btu heater is not enough on the really cold days, say
below 20, it is not a comfy shop.

I use a Reddy Heater, unvented. While it works well, it has a fan that must
run constantly. After an hour or so, the fan becomes annoying. I'd look for
a silent type if I was buying again.

Vent free has not been a problem as far as breathing, but propane does
contain moisture and you may get some condensation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got one of those same propane heaters in my garage. 30,000 BTU bazooka
flamethrower heater. Noisy, but it does the job. I get a month or so
out of a 100lb propane bottle.

My garage is 780sq/ft and I've never needed more than this 30,000 BTU
heater to make it comfortable. 2x6 walls insulated to R-19 makes a
difference!

Joe Michel

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"siralfred" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

siralfred wrote:
Hi all, just hoping someone can give me some advice on choosing a
propane powered space heater for my garage. It's about 350 sq ft with

9' ceiling, so 10 - 15K BTUs should be sufficient. If you've had
experience with any particular make and/or model, good or bad, please
share. What are the pros and cons of vented and ventfree models, etc?

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

It's not the size so much as it is the insulation. A bigger volume does take
longer to reach the desired temperature, of course, but it's the insulation
that determines if it ever WILL reach the desired temperature.

Many years ago I saw an ice storage shed that kept the ice below freezing,
with a 1/4 ton air conditioner, in 100+ degree days. The sucker was lined
with about two feet of cork! Must have been R200!

Posted to alt.home.repair
siralfred

Thanks for all the pointers. I think the BTUs I quoted are based on
R-13 in 2x4 studs, which is what I have. What I'm really looking for
is specific brands that anyone's had good or bad experiences with.
Local propane dealers will offer to install whatever they're selling,
but I want some unbiased opinions on what's the best - or at least a
better - brand. I realize you need more background: I'm in the
northeast, and would be needing this to run 24/7 during the winter, so
it'll be on a thermostat, too. I figure when I'm not using the space,
40 - 50F would keep my paint and glue from freezing and not take too
long to warm up. Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Nov 2005 10:33:19 -0800, "siralfred" wrote:

Hi all, just hoping someone can give me some advice on choosing a
propane powered space heater for my garage. It's about 350 sq ft with

9' ceiling, so 10 - 15K BTUs should be sufficient. If you've had
experience with any particular make and/or model, good or bad, please
share. What are the pros and cons of vented and ventfree models, etc?

My friend found on Ebay a Sears furnace that fits between the studs,
against the outside wall. He uses it for a fully detached 2 car
garage in nw suburban Baltimore. He's very happy with it.

Might be hard to find, however, used, and I'm not sure if it is still
sold new. OTOH, maybe by Sears or whoever made itfor them.

We drove all the way to scranton to pick it up. It's about 6 feet
tall, 4 inches thick and 15 inches wide, iirc.

If you need more details, I'll ask him. He told me how much propane
he uses but I can't recall. OTOH, it's a hobby garage for him,
working on his collection of Buicks, and occasionally the car he
drives if it needs work.

He's probably insulated by now, including the ceiling. He built the
garage from a lumber yard kit.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

space heater Bob Home Repair 8 October 25th 05 02:45 AM
Small propane heater [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 22nd 05 05:21 PM
Building propane powered fire pit. Water heater burner? ShakasCaregiver Metalworking 1 February 5th 05 10:24 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Ownership 9 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM