Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Jack

Default The Mouse Is Winning The War

So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.
Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
tom

Try a glue trap. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Next time take a little cotton batting and mix the peanut butter into it.
Bait the trap with this. The fibers will make it more difficult to get the
bait off the trap without tripping it.

Charlie

"Jack" wrote in message
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.
Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

I've had luck putting p-butter on the bait lever, inside the little
space where the bait lever rolls around, and also on the arm that holds
the swatting-arm down.

Eventually the little cuss stands on the bait pan.

Recently I caught one with a baitless victor trap- it has a large pedal
on it, and you shove it against a wall where they run. They step on the
pedal, and snappo.

I don't catch-and-release, but I always have good luck with the little
gray trap that just tilts and allows the door to shut. If they go in,
they're getting caught.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
JasmynJade

Charlie has a really good idea. Just a SMALL amount of peanut butter
mixed with the cotton batting! Maybe alot more than just one trap,
too. Try glueing a small piece of peanut onto the trap....instead of
glue, use corn syrup....do it early in the day so that it will harden.
Good Luck....hope it isn't a pregnant female!!!

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Joseph Meehan

Jack wrote:
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.
Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.

I agree with tom. Try a glue trap.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a "Troll Trap".....

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
mm

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:25:41 GMT, (Jack) wrote:

So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

If you know where they are you are in good shape. stuff a towell
under the front of the stove (or do you only mean oven?) and put down
glue traps at the front sides. If you think there is any chance a
mouse can side-step the trap, put down two, one after the other. Do
the same at the end of row of floor cabinets, so he can't get out that
way. I've seen a mouse go across t he counter and down the gap I
have between the counter and the unfortunately not-straight wall. I
haven't seen one come out that way, but they are good acrobats. Put a
box on a crack if you have even a tiny crack there, and weight it
down. Make a perimeter as if you were at the Battle of the Bulge
commanding American forces, so they have to go across the glue traps
to get out, or in.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.

This is good, but in my case, it was too late to put things away after
something had attracted them into the house in the first place. Once
they are in, they can find something to eat, iiuc.

Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.

Remember, they run along the walls and not in the middle of the room
(though I saw some run across my hall from a bedroom to the stairs.
But there was no way, short of entering the bathroom and then the big
bedroom and running along all those walls,( more than 100 feet total,
as opposed to 3 feet in the open), But the hall was not the place to
put the trap. Rather, at each side of the doorway to the bedroom.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

He may be chewing and nesting on the stove insulation. I had to buy a
new stove because of this. Be sure there is not a hole under the
stove too. Often a hole around gas pipe. Once you know there is no
hole in the floor or wall, Get some glue traps. Put boards around
stove so the only way out is across the glue trap. That mouse will
need food and water and will be forced to cross the glue trap. (I
perfer the larger "rat sized" glue traps.

Good luck

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:25:41 GMT, (Jack) wrote:

So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.
Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Jim McLaughlin

Why are you fixated on the peanut butter for bait?

The one time I had a mouse and was catless, I used a chunk of cheese cut fom
a block of cheddar.

It may be that a cheese chunk, on the spring trap, will take enough moving
and tugging and pulling that musey will trigger the trap and get guillotined
(sp?).

Worth a try.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Jack" wrote in message
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

So yesterday, I paid $20 for an electronic Victor meecie trap. This
morning, the green light was lit, AHA, success at last!

Bull****, not only was there no carcass, he somehow escaped, despite
the manufacturer's assurance to the contrary. His main residence is
under the kitchen oven; hope he ain't chewing on that wire with its
240V power.

All fruits and paper and cardboard-packaged food is safely put away.
Guess the only thing to do is continue to use the conventional meece
traps and hope that he gets cocky.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
JasmynJade

I live in a country setting.....our mice is pretty stupid....they head
for the traps every time they smell peanut butter. But, like the guy
said before me....they LOVE insulation, evidently, it makes great baby
mouse beds.
We were having a terrible problem with mice in the early Spring...we
found the hole they were coming thru...added some caulk...and no more
mice. Like the guy above me said, make a maze to lead them to the
traps. Maybe put some regular traps right beside the glue traps.....if
one don't get'em the other will!
Good luck on your mouse hunting...lol..

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Bert

Jack wrote:
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them.

If you are using the trap with the metal pedal (not the fake
cheese-looking ones) try putting the peanut butter under the pedal.
Those type trip in either up or down direction & he has to wedge his
nose under to get the bait. I've had good luck doing that.

MikeB

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
dirt farmer

His main residence is
under the kitchen oven;

He will soon start a family in the insulation in the over, and **** and ****
all over, so that when you turn on your oven a week from now to bake that pie,
the smell will make you gag and go running for the door.

Get rid of that mouse NOW!

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:17:34 -0800, dirt farmer
wrote:

His main residence is
under the kitchen oven;

He will soon start a family in the insulation in the over, and **** and ****
all over, so that when you turn on your oven a week from now to bake that pie,
the smell will make you gag and go running for the door.

Get rid of that mouse NOW!

Exactly why I had to get rid of my stove, and they actually pulled out
much of the insulation, so the stove was ruined.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Tim Fischer

Some good advice here, except I hate glue traps. I've had them dragged off,
and worse, have had to watch a mouse try to free itself, getting more and
more stuck in the process. Now some of you might enjoy that, but to me,
it's painful. I don't like watching things die, even if I want them to die.
I'd rather it be instant, like a standard trap.

Also I wouldn't recommend poison -- they'll go off and die somewhere (where
it's least convenient to find them) and stink to high heavens.

-Tim

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Joseph Meehan

Tim Fischer wrote:
Some good advice here, except I hate glue traps. I've had them
dragged off,

Try the rat size trays, I don't think they will drag that off.

and worse, have had to watch a mouse try to free itself,
getting more and more stuck in the process.

That's how they work. I have a true animal loving daughter (now a zoo
keeper) who when a bit younger informed me I had to rescue the mouse caught
in the glue. She keep that mouse as a pet until it died of old age. BTW
rubbing alcohol will clean the glue off the mouse.

Now some of you might
enjoy that, but to me, it's painful. I don't like watching things
die, even if I want them to die. I'd rather it be instant, like a
standard trap.
Also I wouldn't recommend poison -- they'll go off and die somewhere
(where it's least convenient to find them) and stink to high heavens.

-Tim

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
mm

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:38:50 -0600, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

Some good advice here, except I hate glue traps. I've had them dragged off,
and worse, have had to watch a mouse try to free itself, getting more and
more stuck in the process. Now some of you might enjoy that, but to me,
it's painful. I don't like watching things die, even if I want them to die.

I agree with you, but you may not believe me by the time I've
finished. I have a home office and a lot of mice for a few months.
Snap traps were not working. I would see the mmice run by the door to
my office, either into that room or the bedroom next to it. Later I'd
see them run out again. (Maybe it was just one mouse, but after I got
rid of him, there were more, one at a time, after him.)

Anyhow, I caught one in the glue trap and it was very cold and full of
snow outside, so I used an empty frozen vegetable box and scooped the
mouse and trap into the box, and put the whole box in the freezer. I
figure with the high metabolism of a mouse, he would be sluggish
within a minute or two, unconscious a minute later, and dead by the
time he was 40 degrees F. I did the same thing with the next two, and
finally left the house 3 days later, and put them in the garbage.

I worried a bit about dander coming from the boxes, but I don't know
what dander is and I was careful not to touch the boxes after I put
them there. I hope I didn't get any, and it doesn't seem to have hurt
me.

I'd rather it be instant, like a standard trap.

-Tim

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
mm

wrote:

Some good advice here, except I hate glue traps. I've had them dragged off,
and worse, have had to watch a mouse try to free itself, getting more and
more stuck in the process. Now some of you might enjoy that, but to me,
it's painful. I don't like watching things die, even if I want them to die.

Anyhow, I caught one in the glue trap

One more thing. They iddn't strugggle long, in my experience. A
minute or two, and then they would just stop. Maybe they were
thinking, about what to do next. They started up again when I tried
to put each one in the box, and one got a hold of the box flap and
wouldn't let go. I had a hard time shaking him off, and then I came
at it from the other side. Then it was pretty easy like the other
times. By the time I got downstairs to the fridge, I think they had
each stopped struggling, afaic hear or feel.

and it was very cold and full of
snow outside, so I used an empty frozen vegetable box and scooped the
mouse and trap into the box, and put the whole box in the freezer. I
figure with the high metabolism of a mouse, he would be sluggish
within a minute or two, unconscious a minute later, and dead by the
time he was 40 degrees F. I did the same thing with the next two, and
finally left the house 3 days later, and put them in the garbage.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
TURTLE

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tim Fischer wrote:
Some good advice here, except I hate glue traps. I've had them
dragged off,

Try the rat size trays, I don't think they will drag that off.

and worse, have had to watch a mouse try to free itself,
getting more and more stuck in the process.

That's how they work. I have a true animal loving daughter (now a zoo
keeper) who when a bit younger informed me I had to rescue the mouse caught
in the glue. She keep that mouse as a pet until it died of old age. BTW
rubbing alcohol will clean the glue off the mouse.

Thius is Turtle.

Oh My Lord , You have one too.

there was 3 cats in my back yard that cought a baby squirrel and was
killing it. They had knocked one eye out and scratched him up till my
wife got out there. So we have now a Baby squirrel in the Utility Room
now to be cared for but doing fine. i like him because he was standing
up to the 3 cat and taking them on.

TURTLE

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Bob

"Jack" wrote in message
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from

conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He

ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

Use a raisen or hard cheese for bait, or maybe meat.
Something firm enough that it cannot be removed without
tripping the trap.

Bob

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
morenuf

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from

conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He

ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

Use a raisen or hard cheese for bait, or maybe meat.
Something firm enough that it cannot be removed without
tripping the trap.

Bob

My sister never had mice in her current house for 15 years until last
year and then had 19. She caught them all using peanut butter on the
spring type traps.

Best Regards,
Morenuf
--
lid
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Bob

"morenuf" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
So far, he has safely removed peanut butter from

conventional mouse
traps on three occasions without tripping them. He

ignores various
types of poison bait. The two cats don't have a clue.

Use a raisen or hard cheese for bait, or maybe meat.
Something firm enough that it cannot be removed without
tripping the trap.

Bob

My sister never had mice in her current house for 15 years

until last
year and then had 19. She caught them all using peanut

butter on the
spring type traps.

The O.P. obviously has had no such luck. If it doesn't work,
you should try something different. Personally, I've never
used peanut butter. I've caught multiple mice on one chunk
of cheese or raisen.

Bob

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message

The O.P. obviously has had no such luck. If it doesn't

work,
you should try something different. Personally, I've never
used peanut butter. I've caught multiple mice on one chunk
of cheese or raisen.

The last time I had a mouse problem, in the garage, I set
two traps after removing the attracting bird food. I had a
couple occasions where I had more than one trap trip while I
was in the garage for a short time. I caught 6-8 mice in 2-3
days, and the problem was gone. I believe that was using a
bit of old salami.

Bob