Posted to alt.home.repair
Russ

Default repairing underground drain pipe

I have a 4" plastic corrugated drain pipe that runs next to the
driveway as part of a french drain system. The pipe is broken and
leaking water is surfacing up. I suspect I drove over that spot and
crushed the pipe.

Do you know a solid way to repair this 4" platic pipe once I dig up and
locate the break?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

hard to tell form here but assume this is the outlet end of the drain
system so your heading towards daylight down the driveway somewhere

how deep is the pipe?

That corrugated plastic drain pipe cannot support much load, if it's
close to the surface & you have a good choise of driving on it again
might be advisable to switch to SCH 40 or even SCH 80 PVC in the
locations that are likely to be damaged.

if the pipe is REAL close to the edge you might be able to tuck it
under the driveway to protect it.......but now the edge of the driveway
has less support

i think I'd go w/ PVC, unless your vehicles are real haevy weights
that should do it

If you want ot do it cheaper consider ABS. Maybe a little crush test
is in order

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Russ

Yes it's on the outlet end, about 12 ft from the final outlet, but I
just want to dig up a few feet and replace that part.

OK I'll use the heavier stuff (on the repair section) so it's stronger
at that spot,

But my real question is how to connect the new section to the old
section?

For example, maybe the pros use some sort of sleeve to connect the
sections of corrugated pipe, secured and sealed by a sort of epoxy?

Russ

BobK207 wrote:
hard to tell form here but assume this is the outlet end of the drain
system so your heading towards daylight down the driveway somewhere

how deep is the pipe?

That corrugated plastic drain pipe cannot support much load, if it's
close to the surface & you have a good choise of driving on it again
might be advisable to switch to SCH 40 or even SCH 80 PVC in the
locations that are likely to be damaged.

if the pipe is REAL close to the edge you might be able to tuck it
under the driveway to protect it.......but now the edge of the driveway
has less support

i think I'd go w/ PVC, unless your vehicles are real haevy weights
that should do it

If you want ot do it cheaper consider ABS. Maybe a little crush test
is in order

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick H

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

You can get rubber connectors with large jubilee clips to repair or
connect various size pipes to the same or different size pipes. You cut
the damaged piece out, slip the rubber sleeves over each cut end, put a
new piece in place, slide the sleeve back and tighten the clips, job
done.
You can get them from most builders merchants just tell them what size
pipe your connecting.

--
Nick H
Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

I'm not sure about the exact fit between the 4" PVC & the 4" corrugated
plastic

but this will probably work

http://www.stant.com/no-hub/index.cfm

you will have to put somthing inside the corrugated plastic to support
the clamping load

maybe youu can get the corrugated plastic to go over the PVC

soe sort of flexible sea, natural rubber, silicone, urethane seal is
better than epoxy (to rigid)
cheers
Bob