Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Harry Muscle

Default Waterproofing crawlspace walls and floor with DryLok

I have a crawlspace under part of my house that I would like to
insulate so it's not just wasted space. First off though I'd like to
deal with any possible moisture, radon gas, and bugs that might find
their way in.

My question is this ... can DryLok Latex Masonary Waterproofer be used
on the floor?

My plan is to paint the walls and floor with DryLok Latex Masonary
Waterproofer. There's no real water seeping in, but there is one
section of the wall that has that white powder stuff on it. I'm also
assuming that DryLok will help with keeping radon gas out, which is the
reason why I would also like to use it on the floor (I don't think I
actually have any real issue with radon, but I figure since I'm down
there, why not do it just in case)

Or am I asking for trouble (ie: will it wear away way to quickly on the
floor, etc.)?

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Read a can im sure it says no floors

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Muscle

Do you know of any waterproofing product that can be used on floors?

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure, .006" thick polyethylene under the floor. Otherwise, you can
smear on what you like, and moisture will still come through. (Okay, a
couple inches of tar would work.)

Keeping water from coming through masonry is a challenge- essentially
impossible unless there's an impermeable membrane in there. Drainage is
_big_ factor.

Keeping radon out essentially means venting it elsewhere, like from
house and ground into under-house ducts through blower and out-there.
IOW, install small vent ducts under slab that are kept at negative
gauge pressure, and dump inflow to the great-outdoors. Check with local
experts, first, to see if you have a problem; second, how best to deal
with it.

If you can insulate above and part/most way down the walls, and
ventilate below that to remove moisture, that should serve you well.
Vapor-barrier under floor would help too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

z wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I've seen waterproof epoxy paints for floors sold. Never tried them
myself, to know if they work.

I know Drylock says not for floors...but I have used it on my basement
floor and I have no problems. I think they put that as a legal
protection because you might slip and fall on their paint. or it
won't hold up well to foot traffic,,,,,,

If its a crawl space then no problem.

Mark

If you don't have any water seeping in, why would you spend all that money
on sealer. If you want to store stuff down there, just roll out a plastic
tarp and put stuff on top. Or haul in a few old pallets to keep it up off
the floor.

Sealing up the vents to keep the bugs out might or might not be a bad idea.
If it really is pretty dry it would be OK but if you are concerned about
radon or moisture, its best to leave it open ventalated or else you may need
to divert some house heated air into the space to ventalate it.

Given the low traffic you would expect from a crawlspace (with a concrete
floor, that is unusual, mine is dirt) The Dryloc should be better than
nothing and will not wear badly. As long as you do not have any hydrostatic
pressure pushing the water in, dryloc should prevent water from diffusing
through

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Kyle Boatright

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The white powder on the wall is where water has seeped through the wall,
then evaporated, leaving a mineral deposit. Before using dry-loc on that
area, you'll need to wire brush it. Otherwise, dry-loc'ing your walls makes
perfect sense. I woudn't bother with the floor unless you have a seepage
problem through the slab.

By the way, "installing" dry-loc is quite a chore. The first coat has to be
brushed on, and since the stuff is so thick, it is a lot of work and goes
slowly. The second coat can be rolled, so it goes much faster.

For Radon, just make sure you have decent ventilation so you don't get a
build-up.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Jim

Despite many naysayers, I completed a dog house made of cinder block located
in the side of hill. Cinder block voids filled with concrete.

Used drylok on walls inside and out, and concrete slab floor. Exterior was
backfilled with dirt two days after applying the drylok. Put two carpet
remnants on the floor as I anticipated drylok wear from dog's nails.

Unless you spend alot of time or make many visits to the crawlspace, wear
would not concern me in your case.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Joseph Meehan

Jim wrote:
Despite many naysayers, I completed a dog house made of cinder block
located in the side of hill. Cinder block voids filled with concrete.

Used drylok on walls inside and out, and concrete slab floor.

Putting it on the outside was no doubt a good idea. I would expect it
to be far more effective and longer lasting there. These products are not
bad products, but in general people expect too much from them due to the
advertising of the manufacturers. I think I would have added a water
proofing layer, designed for exterior below grade use, over the Drylok
before backfilling, but you are likely to be OK.

[...]

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Jim

Just waiting for a few good, soaking rains to see if its effective. S.
central Texas is pushing drought conditions now. Ran waterhose on the hill
above the doghouse shows no apparent water intrusion inside, and the front
is dry. My grandkids think the doghouse is "neat". They use it for a
hideaway when playing.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
Else you will be absorbed
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .