Alex

Default Water Heater Flue Baffle

Put in a new Reliance water heater that worked fine for about 6 months
until the pilot light started going out frequently. It also started
to make sizzling nosies that seemed to be coming from the top of the
tank, so I pulled the flue baffle to see what I could see, and the
problem went away- pilot light stays lit and no more sizzling.

Can anybody tell me what's going on here?

I guess that the combustion water was condensing on the baffle and
falling back down onto the burner and tripping the thermal cutoff
switch, but why did it take 6 months for the problem to appear?
What are the consequences of running the water heater without the flue
baffle in place?

The flue is vented into the same brick chimney that every other water
heater that was ever installed in this building, and the air flow is
good- I can feel the warm air being sucked up the chimney when the
vent pipe is off. The water heater is located in the corner of a 12 x
15 kitchen next to the porch door, so I think it's getting enough
replacement air.

There does seem to be some rusty patches on top of the tank near the
anode rod and the flue, but I don't see any water.

Can anybody out there in home repair land give me a clue about my
baffling flue baffle??

Thanks in advance.

Alex

SQLit

Alex wrote in message ...
[...]

Have you checked the flue itself?
The description sounds to me like an obstruction in the pipe.

Don Young

Condensation dripping on the burner and sizzling is not uncommon especially
when the burner first lights. The baffle helps more of the heat energy be
absorbed by the water, cooling the exhaust more, and increasing the
condensation. The problem may be occurring now because of cooler weather or
some other minor change in the conditions. The condensation should not
effect the burner or pilot so there may be something slightly out of place.
The pilot flame may be burning a little too low. If there is draft in the
chimney from other appliances that may be cooling the vent pipe when the
heater is off and increasing the tendency for condensation. Removing the
baffle, although it solves the problem, is not a good idea. Don't know if
any of this will help but it is about all I can think of.
Don Young
Alex wrote in message ...
[...]

Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 02:38 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 11:51 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 04:20 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM