Rex B

Default fireplace heatilator openings/

While doing some crack-filling where the brick meets the metal, I
inspected the interior of the cavity where hot air circulates around the
firebox and is then blown out into the room through the vents. At the
upper rear of this cavity, on both sides, there is a vent hole about
4"-6" in diameter. They are apparently open to the interior of the
chimney, between the stovepipe and the brick. Looks like most of the
hot air is going to waste. I expect the upper end of the the brick
chimney is nice and toasty.
Is this normal?
Would it be dangerous to close these off?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Pop

If you're talking about the "holes" in the heatilator, of course
it would be bad to plug them! I'd suspect it'd be bad to plug
ANY hole unless you're positive what you're doing. Your descrip
is very lacking in the place where high detail is needed; sorry.
A heatilator works by extracting the heat from the air before
it goes to the chimney, but ... it can't make the air cool
naturally.
Is it functioning OK? I'd leave it alone if I were you except
to possibly oil any oil ports if the motor has them and be sure
the cord is in good condition.

Perhaps if you more closely described where the "holes" are, what
they're in, and what are they between, etc.?

Oh, BTW, heatilators also, by their nature, make the air going
up the chimney cooler than usual and so creosote and such builds
up much faster. Using a "roaring fire" to clean a chimney,
especially when one is using a heatilator, is a dangerous
situation. Only clean it the right way. \

HTH,

"Rex B" wrote in message
: While doing some crack-filling where the brick meets the metal,
: inspected the interior of the cavity where hot air circulates
around the
: firebox and is then blown out into the room through the vents.
At the
: upper rear of this cavity, on both sides, there is a vent hole
about
: 4"-6" in diameter. They are apparently open to the interior of
the
: chimney, between the stovepipe and the brick. Looks like most
of the
: hot air is going to waste. I expect the upper end of the the
brick
: chimney is nice and toasty.
: Is this normal?
: Would it be dangerous to close these off?
:
: --
: - -
: Rex Burkheimer
: Fort Worth TX

Rex B

Pop wrote:
If you're talking about the "holes" in the heatilator, of course
it would be bad to plug them! I'd suspect it'd be bad to plug
ANY hole unless you're positive what you're doing. Your descrip
is very lacking in the place where high detail is needed; sorry.

OK, the unit is a built-in about 20 years old.
Intakes and motors are on either side of the fireplace opening just
above the hearth.
Outlet is a long narrow opening above the fireplace opening.
I am dealing with cool air intrusion frome "somewhere"

When I take the outlet vent covers off, and look into the airspace
around the firebox, I can see how the heatilator cavity surrounds the
firebox. The "ceiling" of that cavity is a steel plate. On either side
of the central firbox, where it narrows to the chimney, there is a ~5"
hole on either side. These hole apparently are open to the space inside
the masonry chimney. I guess I'm heating up the whole thing.

Is it functioning OK?

Sure, I'm just looking to maximize efficiency

Oh, BTW, heatilators also, by their nature, make the air going
up the chimney cooler than usual and so creosote and such builds
up much faster. Using a "roaring fire" to clean a chimney,
especially when one is using a heatilator, is a dangerous
situation. Only clean it the right way. \

Good to know, thanks