DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing Machine imbalance (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/128791-washing-machine-imbalance.html)

A Veteran for Peace November 10th 05 05:42 PM

Washing Machine imbalance

On the spin cycle a horrible "thumping"
It's a Whirlpool. re-arranging the clothes about doesn't help.

--
Impeach Bush ! a noble cause
Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.

citygirl November 10th 05 06:07 PM

Washing Machine imbalance

I have the SAME problem -- especially when its the heavy towels. They
always shift to one side and cannot be arranged. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated!

--
citygirl
citygirl's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=166

tom November 10th 05 06:40 PM

Washing Machine imbalance

Level the front of the machine, then lift the rear slightly and let it
down. Tom

Patrick Cleburne November 10th 05 08:09 PM

Washing Machine imbalance

"A Veteran for Peace" wrote in message
On the spin cycle a horrible "thumping"
It's a Whirlpool. re-arranging the clothes about doesn't help.

--
Impeach Bush ! a noble cause
Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.

I can tell you how to fix that-- but after reading your sig, I decided that
you can just listen to it.

Patrick

Ed November 10th 05 10:26 PM

Washing Machine imbalance

Most of the time it's a floor problem. Make sure the front legs are screwed
all the way up and locked. If there is a dryer next to the washer you may
notice that it shakes too. If it does it is most likely a 'soft' floor.

Gary Dyrkacz November 11th 05 12:18 AM

Washing Machine imbalance

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:42:07 -0800, A Veteran for Peace
wrote:

On the spin cycle a horrible "thumping"
It's a Whirlpool. re-arranging the clothes about doesn't help.

On our Sears Kenmore I found another possibility which has some of the
same characteristics as either a load imbalance or leveling problem.
After taking the back off to investigate I noticed that there was a
large spring laying on the floor beneath the washer motor. After
staring at the innards for a long time I figured out that the spring
was attached to the bottom edge of the back frame and to the drive
unit. The hole in the frame had broken out and released the spring.
Apparently, this spring must help keep tension on the drum and drive
system to maintain the balance. Might have to do with torgue..I don't
know??? At any rate, my solution was to drill another hole in the
frame near the original hole and reinstall the spring. That fixed the
problem. This was about a year ago.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/