DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to handle seam in carpet with foam backing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/128526-how-handle-seam-carpet-foam-backing.html)

[email protected] November 8th 05 10:52 PM

How to handle seam in carpet with foam backing

I have *really* inexpensive carpeting in the basement that has a foam
backing. I am all set to have a friend with carpet-laying experience
come by to join the seam with the iron and glue. But then he asked
about the foam backing (apparently not something he ever dealt with
with better quality carpets).

Do we seam a carpet the same way with a foam backing (or will it melt?)
Or do we use tape or some other method?

TIA, Scott

[email protected] November 8th 05 11:01 PM

How to handle seam in carpet with foam backing

Greetings,

I have used foam backed carpet and I just glued it all down. I didn't
worry about the seams and it has held up for a couple of years so far.

Hope this helps,
William

Mike Dobony November 8th 05 11:17 PM

How to handle seam in carpet with foam backing

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have *really* inexpensive carpeting in the basement that has a foam
backing. I am all set to have a friend with carpet-laying experience
come by to join the seam with the iron and glue. But then he asked
about the foam backing (apparently not something he ever dealt with
with better quality carpets).

Do we seam a carpet the same way with a foam backing (or will it melt?)
Or do we use tape or some other method?

TIA, Scott

I used top quality tape on both sides of the joint, one run for each side,
and glued it in place. Make sure you do a minor back cut on the foam to
prevent bulging. Was instructed by a former pro installer.

Carpet||Carpet
foam /\foam back