Old November 8th 05, 07:00 PM
Robert11

Default Piezo Ignition On Gas Hot Water Heater Question

Hello:

Will be going for a new hot water heater soon.
For a residence. The typical cylindrical type independent of the furnace.

Regarding those new gas fired water heaters with the Piezo ignition:

Do they work in a house power outage, such as in a storm ?
We lose power often, and would sure like to have, at least, hot water.

Thanks,
B.

Old November 8th 05, 07:32 PM
Charlie Bress

Time for a little education.
Check the link to see what piezoelectricity is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

Then rest assured that the ignition spark does not need any external
electricity.
It is all self contained
Charlie

Old November 9th 05, 12:34 AM
Mike Dobony

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message

Time for a little education.
Check the link to see what piezoelectricity is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

Then rest assured that the ignition spark does not need any external
electricity.
It is all self contained
Charlie

And how do you apply the pressure to ignite the water heater? I am guessing
that it is NOT piezo, but simply an electronic ignition, which will not
ignite unless there is electricity. Otherwise it has an extra feature that
allows you to ignite the pilot without a match or lighter. One thing to
remember is that the pilot also keeps the water hot and prevents you from
having to ignite the burner to reheat the water as it gets cold. I have our
water heater set at the temp that the pilot holds the water at and have
sufficient hot water except when 2 of us are taking long showers at the same
time. I really need to get a bigger tank with two of us working dirty jobs
and getting home at the same time : 0

Old November 9th 05, 01:15 AM
George E. Cawthon

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Will be going for a new hot water heater soon.
For a residence. The typical cylindrical type independent of the furnace.

Regarding those new gas fired water heaters with the Piezo ignition:

Do they work in a house power outage, such as in a storm ?
We lose power often, and would sure like to have, at least, hot water.

Thanks,
B.

No they won't work. Further if the the heater has
any type of electric ignition it may/probably will
also have an induction fan. So if you lose power
often, be sure you buy a lower efficiency rated
heater, which has a regular pilot light and no
inductor fan. The difference in heater efficiency
will be largely unnoticeable and you heater will
continue to work when the power goes out.
Old November 9th 05, 01:27 AM
m Ransley

A Bosch tankless uses 2 D cells for its piezo ignition, they also have a
model with a mini hydro generator that produces electricity for its
ignition, I have the unit with batteries it works fine.

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 10 January 23rd 16 05:04 PM
Water heater question SJP Home Repair 18 January 8th 05 03:47 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 06:23 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM