DoDa

Default CLR - Water Heater

Would putting CLR through in your hot water tank dissolve the shale that
builds up inside?

Donna

Gary Slusser

I wouldn't do this but, if you got enough of it in the tank, it should
dissolve hard water scale but... buying a softener is the correct way
to solve the problem. And softened water will dissolve the scale that's
already built up.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com

nospambob

Glad to see/read you're posting again! Our softener is more than 28
years old and maintenance has been replace a valve. Just replaced a
gas heater within 6 months of warranty that was making noise as the
burner fired. Periodic draining of nominal water didn't seem to do
anything visible so I'm wondering about your assertion that softened
water will dissolve the scale that's already built up. Can you
provide commentary beyond that, please?

On 8 Nov 2005 10:41:27 -0800, "Gary Slusser" wrote:

I wouldn't do this but, if you got enough of it in the tank, it should
dissolve hard water scale but... buying a softener is the correct way
to solve the problem. And softened water will dissolve the scale that's
already built up.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com

George E. Cawthon

DoDa wrote:
Would putting CLR through in your hot water tank dissolve the shale that
builds up inside?

Donna

Probably, but you would need at least 10 gallons
for a 40 gallon tank and you would have to stir it
several times over a 24 hour period. ClR, sold
in 28 oz units, is about $6.80 a quart, so 10
gallons is about $272. You can buy a new heater
for that amount. BTW, its "scale" not "shale."
If it were shale, CLR wouldn't get it out.
Gary Slusser

Yeah it's been awhile. I've been posting on a number of web site forums
and that keeps me pretty busy and my internet softener business is
booming on top of that. Plus there aren't many questions here anymore
since many forums have sprung up.

If your resin wasn't replaced with the control valve, it's way past
time, and the softener is probably too small and allowing hard water
through it at peak water use times. The noise in the gas or oil fired
water heater proves that scale was building up in it. Draining and
flushing gas and oil fired heaters doesn't get much if any scale out of
them due to how they apply the heat to the tank; at the bottom and up
the flue pipe. The scale is a solid mass sticking to everything it can,
not pieces like in electric heater where the elements allow it to fall
off with the expansion/contraction of the elements. In some electric
heaters the scale clumps on the elements and doesn't fall off.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com

nospambob

Wasn't mentioned that it should be replaced so we didn't do it. Glad
you're back and the business is booming. Brings to mind the Packard
Motorcar slogan of YEARS ago "Ask the man that owns one" with respect
to your booming business.