berkeleydb

Default Need belt for Emerson attic/whole house fan(Dayton motor)

Need belt for Emerson attic/whole house fan...

I am looking for the fan or motor belt for the Dayton motor
that runs my Emerson Electric (whole house) fan.

I'm hoping someone can tell me where to look for the belt online...

Here is some information about the motor:

BELT MARKINGS:: 1230 5000 00

Dayton Split Phase A.C. motor
Model 6K 20A
HP 1/2
R.P.M. 1725/1140
Mtr Ref: 5A63 CXEKM-5114

Here is some information about the whole house fan.
I'm guessing that it may be as old as the house (up to 35 years old).

Emerson Electric
Cat. 224-D-2
V 115 A 9.7/6.6
Frame: 567
Brgs: SLEEVE
Code A
Ins class (either 8 or B, couldn't read it) PH 1.

Edwin Pawlowski

"berkeleydb" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone can tell me where to look for the belt online...

Here is some information about the motor:

BELT MARKINGS:: 1230 5000 00

Belts are common and can be found at any industrial supply house. There
are probably some other numbers starting with 3L or 4L or similar. The
number above I did not see listed.

On McMaster's web page look for V belts under Power Transmission and you
will see how to measure.

www.grainger.com
www.mcmaster.com

berkeleydb

Thanks for both suggestions above. McMaster wasn't able to help me,
and Grainger hasn't yet responded. I'll try the NAPA dealer
suggestion.

Jay Yeates

"berkeleydb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for both suggestions above. McMaster wasn't able to help me,
and Grainger hasn't yet responded. I'll try the NAPA dealer
suggestion.

go down to your local woodworking store (or online in many places) and buy
one of the adjustable belts they make for table saws ... don't have to worry
about sizing, runs a lot more quietly, and easily shortened or lengthened ..
plus they last well. more expensive, but well worth it (have it on my whole
house fan, and all my belt driven woodworking tools .. and keep a longer one
in my truck toolbox as a emergency replacement should i ever loose the
serpentine on the road)

Posted to alt.home.repair
fanman

1. If they carry the right size, you can get the belt an any
automotive store or you can get this size belt at w w grainger. They
have locations in most major cities or online at grainger.com. An
ajustable belt, though, will be very noisy.
Also, be careful to adjust the belt just tight enough so that it does
not slip. You can easily damage the bearings on such an old unit by
overtightening the belt. Check the motor at the same time for oil
ports top and bottom (most dayton motors have them) & use an
evaporative cooler oiling container with an extentable plastic nozzel
to reach the oil ports.

Hope this helps.