Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mark D

Default Questions about Stone Tiling Countertop

Hi All, First post here, and I need some help/advice.

A person that I've done painting, and carpentry work for, has asked me
if I could re-tile the 40 year old Kitchen Countertops with a stone (or
possibly a Ceramic) tile

This L-Shaped Counter Top, and 4" high Backsplash is about 10 feet in
one direction, and 6 feet in another, and is currently covered with
Formica. It has slightly lifted at the top joining seam, and there's
one small bubble, other than that, the top is in very good shape, and is
perfectly flat, and secure everywhere else.

My concern is, she thinks that it will be an easy job, removing the
existing Formica Covering, which I know it won't be. I figure I most
likely will be ripping 1/2 the plywood underneath with it.

My question is, Can I lay stone Tile directly over the Formica Top? Is
there a proper adhesive designed for applying stone tile directly over
the Formica?

If not, what other options are there?

It sure would be a heck of a lot easier if I can, but this is something
that I don't have mucho experience in, and don't want to make a serious
error with incorrect installation.
TIA Mark D.