DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best tape for plastic window covering? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/128050-best-tape-plastic-window-covering.html)

[email protected] November 5th 05 07:16 PM

Best tape for plastic window covering?

Last year, I taped up plastic sheeting on some windows to keep winter
drafts out. In spring, when I pulled off the tape, paint came up with
it.

Is there some kind of tape, double or single sided, that can sit on
wood for months and then come off cleanly without tearing up paint or
other finishes?

Thanks!

C & M November 6th 05 10:15 PM

Best tape for plastic window covering?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last year, I taped up plastic sheeting on some windows to keep winter
drafts out. In spring, when I pulled off the tape, paint came up with
it.

Is there some kind of tape, double or single sided, that can sit on
wood for months and then come off cleanly without tearing up paint or
other finishes?

Thanks!

You might try a double sided carpet tape but one cautionary note; it's think
and
spongy so if you're having any heavy condensation (shouldn't with the
plastic) it
might trap moisture and wreck the finish on the wood. During the energy
crisis
of the 70's there was plastic framing for this purpose. It hinged over on
itself,
pinching the plastic and snapping into a groove - think, press 'n seal
sandwich
bags(which, incidentally wasn't in use then). The down side was the ugly
piece
of plastic which lived on the trim all year 'round 'cuz there wasn't an
easy-peel
adhesive back then. BTW, the product worked great. Sorry that I can't come
up with a name for you.