DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127713-re-cutting-55-gallon-drum.html)

Limey Lurker November 2nd 05 11:26 PM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off.

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the
rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction
of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

EXT November 2nd 05 11:55 PM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

"Limey Lurker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off.

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the
rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction
of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

I have done the same thing a number of times.

ameijers November 3rd 05 01:10 AM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...

"Limey Lurker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off.

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the
rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction
of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

I have done the same thing a number of times.

Stop by local muffler shop, and pay them five bucks to do it with their
air-powered cold chisel?

The guy that mentioned the giant can opener was right- that is how people in
the business do it. Might call around to local rental places and see if they
have that tool in their library. Don't know what the proper name is, but if
you describe the situation, it should ring a bell for them. The rentall
place will have electric chisels.

aem sends...

Harry K November 3rd 05 03:40 AM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

EXT wrote:
"Limey Lurker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off.

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the
rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction
of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

I have done the same thing a number of times.

Same here. Doesn't take very long either. Seems like everybody
ignores the simple solution for the 'more power' methods.

Harry K

Matt Howell November 3rd 05 12:16 PM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

In article ,
says...

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
tanews.com...

"Limey Lurker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off.

Cold chisel and 2 1/2 lb. hammer; keep the chisel tight against the
rim, and hold it at about 15 degrees from vertical behind the direction
of travel. I've done a couple of dozen like this.

I have done the same thing a number of times.

Stop by local muffler shop, and pay them five bucks to do it with their
air-powered cold chisel?

The guy that mentioned the giant can opener was right- that is how people in
the business do it. Might call around to local rental places and see if they
have that tool in their library. Don't know what the proper name is, but if
you describe the situation, it should ring a bell for them. The rentall
place will have electric chisels.

aem sends...

the name you're looking for is drum deheader.