DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127712-re-cutting-55-gallon-drum.html)

zxcvbob November 2nd 05 11:21 PM

Cutting a 55 Gallon Drum

Barry wrote:
Greetings All!

Just got an empty 55 gal. drum from a local eatery that held vegetable
oil. I'd like to use it as a burn barrel, but the only opening is a
small hole in the top for a syphon pump of some kind.

Would appreciate some thoughts on how to cut the top off. My experience
with metal working is limited to high school shop which is longer ago
than I care to think about ;-).

Thanks in advance!

-Barry

I had a summer job in an oil field once, and the way we did it was with
a pipe wrench and a small sledge hammer. Go around the top with the
pipe wrench jaw just over the rim and whack it with the hammer. Then
move it an inch and whack it again. Repeat. It does a surprisingly
good job and turns the rough edge down. Takes a while though...

Bob