DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric radiant floor heat (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127572-electric-radiant-floor-heat.html)

TP November 2nd 05 02:10 AM

Electric radiant floor heat

Electric radiant floor heat. I need to encase this wire in a
lightweight mix to distribute the heat evenly. They suggest a
light weight gypcrete mix. I read a few facts and it looks very
well suited for the hydroic radiant heat systems. I have used
this wire system before in thinset & tile with no problems. This
surface will be covered in a floating wood laminate. Only 150 sq
ft, ½ inch thick. I was thinking of using a cement sand mix
instead of gypcrete. Should I use any additives with it? Oh
yeah, it will be going over an uninstalled concrete slab. They
suggest using reflectix (bubble foil wrap between the mix and
slab. Anyone done this before…?

Thanks
TP

HeatMan November 2nd 05 12:05 PM

Electric radiant floor heat

"TP" wrote in message
.. .
Electric radiant floor heat. I need to encase this wire in a
lightweight mix to distribute the heat evenly. They suggest a
light weight gypcrete mix. I read a few facts and it looks very
well suited for the hydroic radiant heat systems. I have used
this wire system before in thinset & tile with no problems. This
surface will be covered in a floating wood laminate. Only 150 sq
ft, ½ inch thick. I was thinking of using a cement sand mix
instead of gypcrete. Should I use any additives with it? Oh
yeah, it will be going over an uninstalled concrete slab. They
suggest using reflectix (bubble foil wrap between the mix and
slab. Anyone done this before…?

One problem I see with the reflextix is movement. You put that down and it
won't bond with the slab and may cause breakage of the mix. I don't know of
any solution.

Another thing is the reflectix is not tested for insulating value unless
there is an air space. While it's better than nothing, it's not much
insulating value.

Thanks
TP

RicodJour November 2nd 05 12:33 PM

TP wrote:
Electric radiant floor heat. I need to encase this wire in a
lightweight mix to distribute the heat evenly. They suggest a
light weight gypcrete mix. I read a few facts and it looks very
well suited for the hydroic radiant heat systems. I have used
this wire system before in thinset & tile with no problems. This
surface will be covered in a floating wood laminate. Only 150 sq
ft, ½ inch thick. I was thinking of using a cement sand mix
instead of gypcrete. Should I use any additives with it? Oh
yeah, it will be going over an uninstalled concrete slab. They
suggest using reflectix (bubble foil wrap between the mix and
slab. Anyone done this before...?

Bubble foil would be an odd choice. I'd think that it wouldn't have
the compressive strength and the air could leak out over the years.

Look into Wedi board - it's a 1/4" or 1/2" foam panel with fiberglass
mesh on both sides covered in an acrylic/cement coating. Think Durock
with a foam core. It's also recommended by some of the radiant
manufacturers.

Gypcrete or other self-leveling topping is the easiest thing to do in
most cases. The sand mix would be a distant second in my mind. It
would work but it's a lot more work than mixing and pouring. If you do
use the sand mix, latex additive would probably be wise. How thick is
the mortar topping going to be?

[email protected] November 2nd 05 12:46 PM

Electric radiant floor heat

Polyisocyanurate board, eg 1" Atlas Energy-Shield roof insulation.

Nick

TP November 3rd 05 02:22 AM

wrote:
Polyisocyanurate board, eg 1" Atlas Energy-Shield roof insulation.

Nick

Thanks for the replies. I was going with my gut and using a
polyiso board base, then the 1/2" gypcrete on top. I’m glad I
asked about the bubble stuff… can’t figure out why they
recommend it.
I see gypcrete isn’t sold to DIY’ers, so that is why I may go
with the sand mix.

TP

HeatMan November 3rd 05 12:32 PM

Electric radiant floor heat

"TP" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:
Polyisocyanurate board, eg 1" Atlas Energy-Shield roof insulation.

Nick

Thanks for the replies. I was going with my gut and using a
polyiso board base, then the 1/2" gypcrete on top. I’m glad I
asked about the bubble stuff… can’t figure out why they
recommend it.
I see gypcrete isn’t sold to DIY’ers, so that is why I may go
with the sand mix.

Somewhere I may have a recipe for gypcrete. Email me and I'll send it to
you, if I can find it.
TP