DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Effects of sun on wood (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127475-effects-sun-wood.html)

m Ransley November 1st 05 02:21 PM

Effects of sun on wood

Will sun exposure lighten or darken maple with an Acrilic modern
finish.

Edwin Pawlowski November 1st 05 02:43 PM

Effects of sun on wood

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Will sun exposure lighten or darken maple with an Acrilic modern
finish.

Usually darkens.

Duane Bozarth November 1st 05 02:53 PM

Effects of sun on wood

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Will sun exposure lighten or darken maple with an Acrilic modern
finish.

Usually darkens.

The wood itself...if there were any color added it may bleach out.

Todd H. November 1st 05 03:20 PM

Effects of sun on wood

(m Ransley) writes:
Will sun exposure lighten or darken maple with an Acrilic modern
finish.

My hardwood near the sliding doors lightened if it stayed dry,
darkened if it was victim of a bad door seal and got wet.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

dadiOH November 1st 05 07:28 PM

Effects of sun on wood

m Ransley wrote:
Will sun exposure lighten or darken maple with an Acrilic modern
finish.

I just looked at a maple floor under a throw rug...very little
difference light to dark but there is a marked difference in color - the
protected portion is much yellower. Urethane, not acrylic.

In my experience, light woods generally get darker, dark ones lighter.
Walnut for example gets lighter and warmer. Ditto butternut.
Irrespective of the finish. I have a makeshift work table made of
"white wood"...the sun has darkened the unfinished wood to a medium tan.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...