Mark L.

Default Reducing PVC waste pipe noise

Greetings All,
Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste
piping that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls
and ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is the
time for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped around
the pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the stud/joist bays
with a product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.
Todd H.

"Mark L." writes:

Greetings All,
Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste
piping that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls
and ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is
the time for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped
around the pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the
stud/joist bays with a product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.

Insulation around it would be quite effective. Thicker the better.

However, you may find that wallboard alone may quiet it up quite a bit
itself, but there's no harm in wrapping it with additional goodies if
the cost/time isn't a worry.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Stretch

Cast Iron Pipe would be most effective in killing noise. Due to it's
mass. Put together with no hub couplings (no hub pipe). You would
probably need a competent plumber, most "plumbers" can't handle
anything past a hack saw and a can of glue -in my area-.

Stretch

No

Agreed that cast iron is the way to go. Insulation will help but not
too much. The denser the insulation, the better. Closed cell foam
insulation would be best insulation choice. Other sound blocking
technicques, like lead, would be more expensive than replacing with
cast iron.

Sacramento Dave

"Mark L." wrote in message
Greetings All,
Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste
piping that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls
and ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is the
time for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped around
the pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the stud/joist bays
with a product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.

Cast Iron as motioned ( Some cast is labeled the quiet one) If you go that
route the only tool you need is a snap cutter, Nut driver to fit the no hub
bands. Pipe must be supported 12 to 16 inches on each end. But if the piping
is done your best bet is to wrap with insulation. They also make a
fiberglass insulation for pipe (Kind of like that foam type) It's made for
any size pipe, Comes in deferent wall sizes. You would probably have to
phone an insulation contractor to find it. If any of the pipe is laying on
joist or rafters try to isolate it from the wood put a piece or thick
weather stripping under it, your trying to minimize the wood from amplifying
the sound of water running through pipes. What is the waste pipe for ? Is it
a second floor ? If it's a shower or tube try to stuff insulation under it
and around it. That made a big dereference in noise in my house. Is the pipe
drilled threw the joist?

Sacramento Dave

"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cast Iron Pipe would be most effective in killing noise. Due to it's
mass. Put together with no hub couplings (no hub pipe). You would
probably need a competent plumber, most "plumbers" can't handle
anything past a hack saw and a can of glue -in my area-.

Stretch

"You would probably need a competent plumber, most "plumbers" can't handle
anything past a hack saw and a can of glue -in my area "
That's why the plumb houses with garden hose now, I thing they have a
fantasy name for it now. Hose is Hose Pipe is Pipe you can sugar coated
anyway you want but that's the fact.

SQLit

"Mark L." wrote in message
Greetings All,
Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste
piping that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls
and ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is the
time for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped around
the pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the stud/joist bays
with a product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.

I tried to get rid of water noise from the hose bib near my bathroom. Since
I had the wall open I insulated the wall and the pipe with that foam
covering. Ok the sound is less but not worth the expense. I thought that
the 3.5 inches of insulation in the wall would quiet it down a lot. NOPE.

In your situation I would try some insulation on all of the surfaces around
the pipe Not the pipe itself. WAG from someone who is not good at this.

PipeDown

Make sure the pipe is not firmly secured to the wall studs. Use a felt or
balled up insulation pad to buffer the pipe from the solid structure of the
wall framing. Use plastic isolation hangers (flying A holes) instead of
metal or plastic plumbers tape for securing the pipe. Same treatment for
supply pipes.

If not the sound will transmit from the pipe to the wall like a diaphram. I
always insulate interior walls during remodels mostly for sound deadning and
usually costs less than $100 per room.

"Mark L." wrote in message
Greetings All,
Is there a product that will minimize the noise from 2" PVC waste piping
that runs overhead through the ceiling? Since all of the walls and
ceilings are opened up and almost ready to be drywalled, this is the time
for some sound insulation/isolation. Can anything be wrapped around the
pipes, or is the sound deadened by filling up the stud/joist bays with a
product? Thanks in advance, Mark L.

The Reverend Natural Light

Car stereo people use an adhesive backed insulating sheet called
Dynamat to dampen noise. I've wondered how well that might work if
wrapped around a PVC drain pipe.

-rev

Todd H.

"The Reverend Natural Light" writes:
Car stereo people use an adhesive backed insulating sheet called
Dynamat to dampen noise. I've wondered how well that might work if
wrapped around a PVC drain pipe.

Care stereo folks use dynamat because it's well marketed, and thin
enough to do a little something in teh space they have. Typically you
have a lot more room to work with in your house vs a mobile
installation, so it's a fair thought that you might get more bang for
the buck with other materials.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Waste pipe under suspended floor Tom UK diy 2 August 20th 05 12:51 PM
Solvent-weld waste pipe Lobster UK diy 8 August 11th 05 12:39 PM
waste pipe into soil pipe? [email protected] UK diy 3 July 26th 05 11:13 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM
Washing machine - waste pipe limescale IMM UK diy 2 July 15th 03 10:25 PM