DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sprinkler heads (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127247-sprinkler-heads.html)

twfsa October 31st 05 01:11 AM

Sprinkler heads

I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are sticking in the up
position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

They are 11 years old is it time to replace them as needed, or is there a
fix?

Thanks

Tom

Eric October 31st 05 07:21 AM

Sprinkler heads

twfsa wrote:

I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are sticking in the up
position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

They are 11 years old is it time to replace them as needed, or is there a
fix?

Thanks

Tom

Replace them, its not that expensive per head and you can (probably) use the
old nozzles. Should be able to just unscrew the old one from the inground
case, swap the nozzle to the new one and plop the new one back in the
inground case - no digging needed. Then just adjust the spray pattern.
Check each zone for proper operation and voila! you should be back in
business with a like new system
Eric

cod October 31st 05 06:01 PM

Sprinkler heads

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:11:21 -0600, "twfsa" wrote:

I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are sticking in the up
position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

They are 11 years old is it time to replace them as needed, or is there a
fix?

Thanks

Tom

I am sure if it is cool or even cold in your area. I've noticed that
the nozzles tend to stay up in the up position when it is cold.

cod

Rich256 October 31st 05 07:41 PM

Sprinkler heads

"twfsa" wrote in message
I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are sticking in the up
position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

They are 11 years old is it time to replace them as needed, or is there a
fix?

Thanks

Tom

Plastic types? Probably just sand or dirt that could be cleaned out but at
that age they probably should be replaced anyway. Always good to have some
spare heads.

Bob November 1st 05 12:56 AM

Sprinkler heads

"twfsa" wrote in message
I ahve noticed that the sprinkler heads (Rainbird) are

sticking in the up
position and fail to retract after the system shuts off.

I've had good luck just clearing away the grass that grows
tightly around the heads. Then turn the system on, and
repeatedly push the offending heads down multiple times to
help wash away the dirt that makes them stick.

Bob