DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Controlling dry wood termites (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/127202-controlling-dry-wood-termites.html)

ivk October 30th 05 09:35 PM

Controlling dry wood termites

We found dry wood termites in our house, and fumigation is not an
option for us. A termite inspector suggested local treatment with
termicides based on Pyrythrin. But I could not find such a substance:
looks like Pyrythrin is a very mild insecticide, and it is not used
against termites.

What termicide is known to be efficient against dry wood termites ?

Don Phillipson October 30th 05 10:36 PM

Controlling dry wood termites

"ivk" wrote in message
oups.com...

We found dry wood termites in our house, and fumigation is not an
option for us. A termite inspector suggested local treatment with
termicides based on Pyrythrin. But I could not find such a substance:
looks like Pyrythrin is a very mild insecticide, and it is not used
against termites.

Google for pyrethrum, the generic name.
(Pyrythrin may be an error or a brand name.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Lar October 31st 05 12:47 AM

Controlling dry wood termites

In article .com,
says...
:) We found dry wood termites in our house, and fumigation is not an
:) option for us. A termite inspector suggested local treatment with
:) termicides based on Pyrythrin. But I could not find such a substance:
:) looks like Pyrythrin is a very mild insecticide, and it is not used
:) against termites.
:)
:) What termicide is known to be efficient against dry wood termites ?
:)
:)
I would have a company try termidor. It has gone past expectations and
claims with sub terranean termites and ant control...don't see why the
same success wouldn't be expected for dry wood. The problem with what
was recommended to you is that it is a repellant and would think there
would be too much a chance of moving them elsewhere rather than kill
them.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

planetorange April 29th 09 04:33 PM

Controlling dry wood termites

planetorange had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...tes-46127-.htm
:
contact an orange oil company
Nathan
planet orange

-------------------------------------
Lar wrote:

In article
.com,
says...
[...]

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control - messages and counting!

SMS April 29th 09 07:00 PM

planetorange wrote:
planetorange had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...tes-46127-.htm
:
contact an orange oil company
Nathan
planet orange

If the dry wood infestation is mild then orange oil can be used, but it
doesn't do as good a job as fumigation with vikane.

For a severe infestation tenting and using vikane is necessary (or heat
treatment). The alternative is to wait until the house collapses, and
then rebuild with steel construction.

I have a rental unit in a townhouse complex that is being tented today.
We looked at orange oil, which is offered by the pest control company we
are using, but they advised us that only fumigation would work and it's
less expensive than trying to find every nook and cranny and treat it
with orange oil (in reality you simply can't find infestations that are
hidden from view It's a hassle to deal with the tenting, but the gas
dissipates very quickly when the tent is removed.

I don't know of any companies that do heat treatment (heating the
structure to 120 degrees F.

None of these methods prevent re-infestation.