maxinemovies

Default mini blind wand not long enough

I'm in a wheelchair, so if I want the blinds opened or closed, I
always have to call on my husband to come and do it for me. If I could
reach the wand, I'd twist the darn thing myself, but my arms don't
lift above my elbows.

I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

Many thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
Edwin Pawlowski

maxinemovies wrote:
I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

Try calling or writing the manufacturer directly. If they are made in the
US wiht some control over the process, they may even make them special for
you.

If not, rather than a dowel, you may be able to find some plastic rod the
same color to attach with a coupler of some sort.
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

SQLit wrote:
I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

I found the wands too short so I bought doweling of the proper length, screwed
little brass hooks in the end and stained the whole thing to match the window
trim. It looks like it came that way now and it's long enough to easily reach
it.

Don't add dowel; replace the wand completely.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Joseph Meehan

maxinemovies wrote:
I'm in a wheelchair, so if I want the blinds opened or closed, I
always have to call on my husband to come and do it for me. If I could
reach the wand, I'd twist the darn thing myself, but my arms don't
lift above my elbows.

I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

Many thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

I suggest replacing the existing wand with one of your own making. A
dowel, nicely painted should work (an eyelet on the top should connect just
fine) or you could get a long plastic rod at the hobby store.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Colbyt

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
I'm in a wheelchair, so if I want the blinds opened or closed, I
always have to call on my husband to come and do it for me. If I could
reach the wand, I'd twist the darn thing myself, but my arms don't
lift above my elbows.

I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

Many thanks.

Maxi

What you need can be purchased. Wands up to 6' long are made. Special ones
can be connected together for longer runs.

If these are custom blinds simply contact the dealer from which they were
purchased. That will be the best price place.

You need to figure out the brand of blind or at least the method of
attachment as all of them are not the same. Look closely where the wand
attaches to the tilt control to try and identify the connector. Most tilt
controls have a round hole in tilter, wand attaches to it using:
1. wire loop with a plastic cap over it.
2. modified S hook (one leg straight) with a plastic cap over it.
3. a metal hook that resembles a ? when removed. no plastic cap

Some of these are interchangeable and some are not. Once I know what you
have, I will try to help you find the parts in your locality or online.

Colbyt

maxinemovies

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:35:51 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Unfortunately, we haven't moved
into the house yet (it's not quite finished, another month or two and
we can move in) so I don't know what brand of blinds are in there.
(It's a manufactured home. Maybe I can find out from the factory.)

If I can learn the brand, I'll post it here.

Great group of people here. Always very helpful. Many thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
PipeDown

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:35:51 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"maxinemovies" email on
wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Probably doesn't matter the manufacturer except if you want same brand new
part or a color match. The other posters ideas of replacing with a home
made one (dowel) sound easy and good looking.

An alternate quick and dirty method of extending is to buy plastic tubing at
the hardware store of the correct inside diameter (~1/4" or 3/8") and cut
that to length than slip one end over the existing rod. You can now twist
the tubing (not rubber as it will be too soft) to open the blinds.

mm

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:26:13 -0700, maxinemovies email on
wrote:

I'm in a wheelchair, so if I want the blinds opened or closed, I
always have to call on my husband to come and do it for me. If I could
reach the wand, I'd twist the darn thing myself, but my arms don't
lift above my elbows.

I've looked at a number of websites that sell blinds and accessories,
plus made a few calls locally with no luck. I guess we could tape a
dowel to the thing so it hangs down long enough for me, but this is a
brand new house, looking really nice, and I'd love to have nice things
in it before I start Rube Goldberging stuff.

Any ideas where I can find this item?

Interestingly, although I walk fine, I'm in the same situation.

My neighbor threw away two windows' worth of mini-blinds, and they
seem fine except they have NO wand. I know they'll fit because our
townhouses are identical.

I haven't found a brand on them, yet, and I'm thinking of a going to a
plastic store. In the Yellow pages under Plastics -- rods, tubes,
sheets, etc..

Although in Baltimore most of the 7 listings are either truly
wholesale or out of town. There are two retail suppliers and one has
a minumum purchase amount, which on another purchase, she waived for
me. Hmmm. Heres another that says retail that I didn't get to yet.

I think you'll only have to cut one notch and drill one hole, and
screw in one screw and nut (maybe with a nylon insert, so it won't
come loose) and you'll be done. Some/most of the vendors can do that
for you.

(or I may use wood, painted to match the wall (white).)

Many thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Colbyt

Default mini blind wand not long enough ATT:maxinemovies

I just read your post that said the home is being built. You best option is
to contact the company building it and explain your situation.

Adding longer wands at the time the blinds are made is extremely cheap
because there just isn't that much difference in cost for an extra foot or
two of plastic.

If you can't pull that off post back when you are in the home.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to maxinemovies, DANA LARSEN wrote:
I have 3 white cheap tension curtain rods. They are metal, they are hollow and
they are cheap $3-4. I didn't need them because they were slightly bent. I cut
them with tin snips with help from wire cutters and removed the spring. They
would not just slip on so I widened the opening with a screwdriver just
slightly because you want it tight. Perfect - tight enough to turn blinds from
a seated position. I did this myself and I'm female, 63 with torn rotator
cuffs in my shoulders. You may want to use a small saw instead of tin snips
and the inside spring is surprisingly thick and strong so you may want help
with that. This fix took me less time than the internet search I did trying to
find replacements or using wood which requires a lot of coupling.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ugh-45248-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DANA LARSEN, Akua wrote:
Thanks a bunch! I'm in a wheelchair in search of solution -- and this sounds
like one that will work for me! Yippee!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ugh-45248-.htm

Woodworking Show on Long Island April 9th & 10th Kevin Morgan Woodworking 0 March 29th 05 09:58 PM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 05:59 AM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM