DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tecumseh governor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/126823-tecumseh-governor.html)

Steve Kraus October 27th 05 11:37 PM

Tecumseh governor

I'm trying to figure out if I have a failed governor on a Tecumseh/Sears
push mower engine.

The other day it failed due to what I think was dirty fuel, very likely
related to a similar generator problem I had recently. It started then
died and would not restart. Not even a sputter. And no gurgling sounds on
pushing the primer so something was clearly up with gas flow.

I drained the gas tank and flushed it out. I took the carb off--this is a
float valve / primer bulb / non adjustable type and removed the float
chamber. I hooked up the tank, put a little gas in and played a bit with
the float, observing it allowing gas flow when down and stopping it when
up. Whatever dirt there was is probably gone by now and that was probably
all that was needed.

So I put it all back on the mower and it started up just fine. One problem
though: Overspeed and no reaction to the Idle/Run control lever.

Ah, I figure, I musta hooked something up wrong as it's been a long time
since I had one of those off. So I checked it. Can't find anything wrong
and there aren't all that many ways to hook it up: Lever from the back of
the control to short reach wire to spring to governor arm. Then long reach
wire from governor arm back to the throttle valve. I tried all sort of
things including weakening the spring but no dice. I can of course
throttle it by pushing on the throttle valve or governor lever but no sign
of normal operation. I even tried an identical carb I had on the shelf
from a long gone mower but no change.

The idea that the internal part of the governor would go bad at the same
moment there was some kind of carb/dirt issue doesn't seem very likely but
that's where I'm at now. I would like to prove that it does or doesn't
work.

So besides looking for suggestions on what I might have hooked up wrong I'm
looking for a way to show if the internal governor mechanism is working or
not.

Altering the load on the engine while being able to observe the governor
lever isn't too easy or safe on a lawn mower so with a normally running
engine one can prove governor operation by artificially choking the engine.
When the bad fuel/air mix causes the engine to slow you can see the
governor pushing the throttle wide open in an attept to maintain speed.

But that's no good here where the gov is already pushing the throttle too
far open.

So here's my idea: Disconnect all linkages and work the throttle valve by
hand. If I put a finger on the governor lever, pushing slightly to the
left (like the spring would) if I run the engine and rev the engine from
idle up to normal speed or a little beyond I should feel the governor lever
pulling to the right, as though trying to reduce throttle, yes? Better yet
keep fingers away and tie a mild rubber band on it. As I vary speed it the
lever should move back and forth and if it doesn't something internal is
wrong that I probably don't want to bother with. If it does work the way
it should then I know I've done something else wrong. Does that make
sense?

[email protected] October 28th 05 12:10 AM

Tecumseh governor

The governor is just a paddle that gets pushed on by the air from the
vanes on the magneto. 2-3 bolts and you can lift the entire
cooling/start-rope cover and eyeball that all is well with it.

However, if you just remove the spring to the throttle linkage from the
governor arm, and the gov. arm swings free, its probably OK.

Are there multiple holes for hooking linkages and springs into?

[email protected] October 28th 05 01:53 AM

Tecumseh governor

you probably hooked up the linkage wrong . you could get a manual,or
look at another engine to figure it out. i have been taking a video of
engines before i take them apart....very helpfull on the dt466 i rebuilt
this week. lucas

Steve Kraus October 28th 05 03:17 AM

Tecumseh governor

The governor is just a paddle that gets pushed on by the air from the
vanes on the magneto.

No, Tecumseh engines have a little flyweight centrifugal governor that is
internal to the engine. The motion of the weights operates a small shaft
that penetrates the crankcase wall and has a small lever attached to it.
This is right behind the air cleaner. The B&S engine on my generator has a
similar arrangement. I know the air vane governors exist but not on the
stuff I've worked with.

Mark October 28th 05 05:02 AM

Tecumseh governor

if you move the gov by hand does it slow the engine down?

remember when the engine is stopped, the gov will move all the way
calling for full throttle and as the engine speeds up it will move so
as to reduce throttle...

it is easy to hook it up wrong or with the wrong length so that it is
out of range.

Mark

Chris Lewis October 28th 05 07:40 AM

Tecumseh governor

According to :
you probably hooked up the linkage wrong . you could get a manual,or
look at another engine to figure it out. i have been taking a video of
engines before i take them apart....very helpfull on the dt466 i rebuilt
this week. lucas

The Tecumseh manuals are available on the net (for about $7 IIRC).

I had a similar problem with a 6HP Craftsman chipper (Tecumseh motor).
Turned out that at some point (perhaps before I retrieved it from my
dad), one of the adjustment screws had been screwed in so far that
the governor couldn't reduce the speed. I thought the governor was
broken, and went thru readjusting it (according to the manual), before
I noticed the adjustment screw was preventing the governor slowing
the engine down. Doh!
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Steve Kraus October 29th 05 04:28 AM

Tecumseh governor

I tried again this morning and did my little test and sure enough there was
some pullback from the governor lever when I rev'd it so I tried fooling
with the linkages again and while it's still not exactly right I think it's
going to be ok. I was able to use the mower at a regulated speed.

'Drew May 19th 15 08:44 PM

Tecumseh governor

replying to Steve Kraus, 'Drew wrote:
screen wrote:

[...]

had an issue with an internal governor took all linkage off turned the arm
coming out of the block counter clockwise it should rest on the spool
instead it spun all the way around opened the engine and saw even the
camshaft had damage from the implosion never seen that before??

rebel[_2_] May 19th 15 11:24 PM

Tecumseh governor

On 5/19/2015 1:44 PM, 'Drew wrote:

had an issue with an internal governor took all linkage off turned the arm
coming out of the block counter clockwise it should rest on the spool
instead it spun all the way around opened the engine and saw even the
camshaft had damage from the implosion never seen that before??

Translated into female speak:
(a little tongue in cheek humor, here)

female speak
"had a problem with (god knows what that is) that took all the
(connections apart) and (turned off something that looks like an arm
thingy) out of the (square-ish thing that counts) clockwise {{DEEP
BREATHE}} (should sit on top of a spool [like a bobbin or something?])

ummm Something about the spool spun around the engine and saw a (not
sure what THAT is -camshaft) that was broken from the implosion it
couldn't see before it happened?"

/female speak

--
rebel