Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

On 1/26/2014 12:40 AM, bud-- wrote:

I looked at installing a transfer switch.
Looks like I'd have to replace the meter box and put all the
switching and input breakers in that. Not impossible, but more
hassle and expense than I'd like.

You may be able to put a panel outside with a service disconnect (solves
the problem above) and a generator breaker and an interlock. May still
be "more hassle and expense than you'd like".

This was all about a solution looking for a problem.
I got a great deal on a generator and snapped it up before
I learned about all the issues to install it.
Power rarely goes out here anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to beerguzzler50, Gary Kane wrote:
beerguzzler50 wrote:

Let me start by saying I know this is very dangerous and I don't plan
on doing it (I have a new generator and new uninstalled transfer
switch) so save your flames. I plan on installing my transfer switch
when I get some time in the next month or two.
I read a post suggesting that in a power outage, you could flip your
main breaker off to prevent anything going to the lines and killing a
line worker, and use a suicide cord from your generator to you clothes
dryer outlet (240 vac) and then your main panel would serve as your
switch for what circuits are using the generator--and that this would
power both 240 and 120 outlets.
As dangerous as this is, is this even possible?

I do not have a master breaker in the house. I do use a male to male cord
to connect my generator to part of the house. I have to flip off all the
breakers to keep the power from feeding the neighborhood and popping the
generator breakers. I do use a surge protector on the generator and then
connect my adapter cord to the house to smooth out the fluctuations of
power from the generator. My expensive electronics are all on surge
protectors as well.